Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

October 7th, 2002 23:00

Is my battery dead?

Okay, I am totally lost. The battery light on my CPi flashes 4 times orange, and once green, and then there's a pause, and the sequence starts over again. It's not charging either. I just have it plugged into the wall right now.

My first thought is that the battery must be dead and not charging. I took the battery out to check it, and i pressed the button, and none of the lights came on. Then, when I put it back in, it charged up to 6%, and then started doing the same flashing sequence. So then, I took the battery out again, and pressed the button, and the light all the way to the left (or farthest from the button) came on, and that was it.

So, is my battery dead? I tried taking it out and putting it back in again, to see if it would charge some more, but it didn't happen.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

October 11th, 2002 02:00

I am having the same problem with my Latitude CPI-A.  The battery is a 5081P.   As the previous person stated, the yellow LED on the right blinks four times, and then once green.  The cycle repeats ad infinitum.    The battery charge level always reads 0%, when viewing in windows or the BIOS setup.   Does anyone have experiance as to what the probem is?  Is it the charging mechanism, or the battery?

Thanks!

1 Message

October 16th, 2002 04:00

That makes three of us with the same problem.  I bought a used Latutide CPi A300 and the battery does not charge.  I bought a replacement battery and the lights you mentioned started flashing.  I went to the BIOS to check if there is any charging activity and both bays show 0 charge.  I really hope that there is somebody around who knows what is happening.

2.2K Posts

October 17th, 2002 14:00

All,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Please check the charge directly on the battery, using the button and lights on the back of the battery.  If any of the lights flash, or if alternate lights come on, then the battery needs to be replaced.

Please test the battery in the media bay.

Batteries are warranted for one year from system purchase date.  If your system is less than one year old, then you can contact Technical Support  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>for a replacement.

October 19th, 2002 03:00

I checked the battery by pressing the button on the battery.  None of the lights come on.   The battery is completely devoid of life.

How can I verify that the battery is the problem?   What if it is the charging mechanism in the laptop? 

I tested the battery in the media bay, and I got the same result.   The battery never charges, and I cannot run the system off the battery.  The bios always indicates "Charging", but it never gets above 0%.   Again, the leds on the battery do not turn on.

Rollie, what do the blinking lights on the top of the laptop (near the power-on light and hard drive activity light) indicate?  Again, it is 4 blinking yellow lights, and one green. 

Thanks Rollie.

Message Edited by AM29LV800BB on 10-18-2002 11:45 PM

Message Edited by AM29LV800BB on 10-19-2002 09:40 AM

2.2K Posts

October 21st, 2002 15:00

AM29LV800BB,

I have never heard of any flash code for the battery light on the system.  A flashing amber light generally indicates that the battery has overheated.  You should remove the battery and let it cool, and then try again.  If the light still flashes amber, then the battery should be replaced.

Aside from testing the battery in the media bay, the only sure test is to try the battery in another system.  If it fails in the other system, then it is the battery.  If it does not fail in the other system, then it is a problem with the charging system.

October 21st, 2002 20:00

Okay....I have a follow up...

Things were going great for a while, cause the battery was begining to chargeagain, and I didn't have to worry about it. And then, out of no where, the flashing sequence started again, and it quit charging. The sequence HAS to mean something if all THREE of us have the same situation, if only we knew what. The icon in the taskbar is telling me that i still have 50% battery life left. I really don't know what to do here. This batter is only a few months old. It should not be dying yet.

ANY help would be appreciated!

1 Message

November 7th, 2002 01:00

Hi,

I have similar problem. My laptop is Latitude CPi D300XT, and the battery is 5081P.

The battery light on the laptop keeps blinking (in amber) when the AC adapter is connected (not in 4-yellow-1-green cycle). The BIOS tells me that the battery is charging and 41% charged (of course, the number never goes up) on both battery bay and the media bay. Check on the battery by pressing the button, there are three green lights and the light mostly close to the button blinks three times (in green), then all goes off. The laptop can not run off the battery at all.

Is my battery really dead?

Thanks.

2.2K Posts

November 7th, 2002 17:00

Essko,

Most likely the battery is dead.  Please contact Technical Support.

1 Message

November 12th, 2002 20:00

I have the exact same problem with my Latitude CPx H battery. It just wont charge and there is no light at the back of the battery. It works fine on AC power.

1 Message

November 27th, 2002 01:00

My batter light begins w/ a steady green light, then after a few seconds begins to flash amber and continues to flash amber. I tested in both bays same results. the bios have been relashed and tells me that the battery is @ 55% charge and never goes up, when I disconnect the charger the system goes dead. when I put the battery in the media bay it tells me the battery is in standby. I tested the battery by pushing the buttons on the back of the battery, three lights light up, the one furthest from the button then begins to flash. It flashes twice and stops. they battery was working fine yesterday, I was getting two hours out of full charge, now nothing. The battery is not hot.  any ideas? I have contacted tech support they give me a bunch of links to follow that are of no help.

thanks

2.2K Posts

November 27th, 2002 21:00

Shlwp836,

Your battery has failed and needs to be replaced.  Batteries are warranted for one year from system purchase date.  If your system is less than one year old, then you can contact Technical Support for a replacement.

1 Message

December 6th, 2002 17:00

OK, all of the lights on the back of my CPiA systems battery show green.  The battery works in the media bay, but not the battery bay.  Are there any consumer-friendly things that I might be able to do to next get the battery bay working, or should I just haul it directly off to the local computer fixit shop?

Thanks,

Ed

1 Message

December 6th, 2002 18:00

Hi,

Knowing what you said about the battery, and the age of it, and not wanting to say anything that might be liablus, I must say that it is rather suspicious, that the battery on my C600 Latitude, has worked fine for the past 13 1/2 months, 1 & 1/2 months outside the warranty period.  Is that the life expectancy of the battery?  I would have thought not, as I also have an old Apple Powerbook that dates back to the 80's and it's still working fine.

770 Posts

December 6th, 2002 19:00

The current generation of Lithium Ion batteries is good for about 400 charge cycles.  If you figure that there are about 365 days in a year,  and an average notebook user will use their system almost every day,  then the average current Lithium Ion battery will last for about 13 months (assuming a daily discharge/charge cycle is used).  Use beyond that period falls under what is considered to be "normal wear" and would not be covered under warrantee.  Remember that these numbers are also "averages" so you may have one that only lasts for 50 charge cycles,  or you get one which lasts for closer to 500-600 charge cycles.  If you get the 50 charge cycle battery,  Dell will replace it within the first year of your owning your system...

Having said that,  my current Latitude is using a 3 year old battery and it still gets about 1.75 - 2 hours of use when starting fully charged and running from battery...

1 Message

December 17th, 2002 05:00

I have a CPx500H with this problem.  Battery light comes on for about 10 seconds then goes out.  This is a new battery.  The problem started about 9 months ago and I threw that battery out as I thought it was stuffed.  New battery sometimes charges and I have twice had it up to 100% charge.  Leave the Laptop plugged into AC for extended periods with everything turned off and sometime it will gain some charge.  Plugging and unplugging battery or changing to other slot has no effect.  I have noticed that all the BIOS upgrades mention charging problems and I am wondering if I might retro to about A8 which I think the laptop came with.  I had no charging problems in the early days.
No Events found!