Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

9 Posts

February 5th, 2005 12:00

Installation of External USB Floppy Drive

I recently purchased the Inspiron 1000 LapTop and ordered a 256 MB Memory Key and EXTERNAL USB Floppy Drive with it.  HOWEVER, I am not clear how to install it.  (I am technically challenged which you have already assumed).  It appears to the size and shape of the CD/DVD and surely I don't have to remove that to put this in it's place.  Maybe all I really needed was the Memory Key.

Can anyone tell me what to do with this thing....(legitimately, of course) OR where I can find instructions within  the Dell site? Only a small cable came with it but the one end does not seem to fit anywhere on the Drive itself...the drive has a longer pin socket.  I am at a lost. 

Thanks

jackbmc

February 6th, 2005 04:00

It plugs into the back of your notebook in the 1/8 in high, 1/4 in wide rectangular slot (A USB [Universal Serial Bus Port] Port). This is external, and is just like plugging in a notebook or a camera. With the size of the memory key, you cannot use both. Scartch that, the 1000 has three ports.  The ports look like this on the back ( = = = ) (= is a USB port)

You're welcome.

9 Posts

February 6th, 2005 17:00

Thanks for your response.  As it turns out the "problem" was more fundamental. Dell clearly sent me the wrong thing.  I had checked off the order form ,on their website, the item "USB External Floppy Drive with 256 MB Memory Key".  They sent the Memory key but the drive they sent was a "Modular Floppy Drive"....it is designed, as the name implies, to fit the entire module IN the laptop.  Oddly, the parts numbers are the same and that is where the problem arose.  A supervisor finally confirmed the error and is shipping and EXTERNAL USB drive.  However, until I get it in my hands, I will remain a LITTLE suspicious.  The drive they sent is of NO value or use to me.

I am still learning this stuff...always the hard way, it seems.  I now ASSUME there is NO relationship between the Memory Key and the USB External drive.  I HAD assumed the memory key would be placed in side the external drive, but apparently the memory key just fits into the USB slot on the computer.  I thought the USB drive served as a drive for the Memory KEY...doesn't look like that is the case.  But I have been surprised before...if anyone can clear this up with a quick note, I would be grateful.

jackbmc

February 6th, 2005 18:00

I would get rid of that floppy drive, eBay or a newspaper. Make a few bucks.

4.2K Posts

February 14th, 2005 00:00

Hi,

The drive may still be of use. The newer floppy bay drives also had a small USB connector also. If it has a silver face, with a tab in the corner it may fit a 600m,  8500 or 8600. This is still a USB drive that will work.

Regards Chris

9 Posts

February 14th, 2005 02:00

Thanks for your response.

Actually, Dell has acknowledged sending the wrong Drive and had the correct one sent over night.  Excellent customer service on their part.

The incorrect piece was clearly a modular floppy drive (USB) but no where, obviously to place it in the Inspiron 1000.  I won't have much use for the correct one as it turns out, but it is a nice to have.  The memory key is the simplest method of transferring files.

Regards,

jackbmc

No Events found!