Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron M5010

I am very upset!  I have in my possession a Dell Inspiron that is only 18 months old. It is out of warranty and this is my problem with it. It was purchased at Best Buy and I had a problem in which it would not start up consistently anymore. Out of 10 tries I could get it to turn on maybe once or twice. So I brought it to Best Buy to have them evaluate the problem. They told me that it was either the processor or the mother board and it would be a few hundred dollars to fix. I was shocked as this system is in mint condition-never been abused or dropped and everything on it looks new. The tech said I could leave there and they could have it working within a week or so.

Not satisfied with this answer I took it home except now I could not get it to boot up at all! So in anger I brought it to a local computer repair shop I had heard good things about. He questioned why there were two different types of RAM in the system (both the same speed but different manufacturers) which he thinks could cause a problem. I told him what was inside the system was what it came with-I did not upgrade the memory. He confirmed the diagnosis but didn't understand why it would not start up at all anymore and suspected that the Best Buy person might have caused further problems.

So now I have a big paperweight because I do not think I should have to pay $200-$300 for a repair on a system that is less than 2 years old that was not subject to any abuse. I am disgusted with DELL as my daughter also had a laptop that after 2 years the screen stopped working and again I was told for $200-$300 I could get it repaired.

Why doesn't DELL stand behind their products or even better build ones that last a reasonable amount of time?

1 Message

February 6th, 2013 20:00

Exactly same Dell Inspiron 5010M issue and timeframe...7 beeps and it won't even turn on....and I bought at Best Buy too for my son who was using it to get through his Masters Program!  He started having issues with the battery too just months after we got it, but just kept using it and having to keep it plugged in mostly.  It really bites that we get stuck with a worthless product...for me, right?  Finally when it would no longer turn on, Best Buy told me that a new processor/motherboard was the issue and the cost to get a new one may not be the best choice cost wise.  I have been a faithful Dell consumer for years and have purchased several Dell computers (both desktop and laptop computers) for our family over the years.  I have spoken with several individuals and even our IT people where I work and they have confirmed that this was a consistent problem with this computer.  I also have a close friend that this happened to as well.  I just can't believe that Dell cannot replace these due to the fact that this is a known issue and can only imagine how many others this has happened to who have NOT communicated their disgust.  This is maddening and I really feel this is very shamefull on Dell's part.  If this is not taken care of, I will never purchase OR recommend to anyone to purchase a Dell. 

5 Posts

March 11th, 2013 16:00

Same issue for me. Same seller and everything. It's like we're connected (not).

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 11th, 2013 17:00

loudermilk,

If I'm correct, Best Buy has their own warranty process. You may want to check with Best Buy on their policy.

Registering your Dell Product is done when you purchase a system from a retail store.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 12th, 2013 11:00

loudermilk,

Dell warranty is for 1 year. Usually a system purchased at Best Buy, they repair the system by their policies.

What is the problem with your system? Try running the full diagnostics and report back any error messages. How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Rick

5 Posts

March 12th, 2013 11:00

Warranty has expired. I didn't buy extended warranty because of positive past experience with Dell products. Now I'm stuck with $600 paperweight.

5 Posts

March 13th, 2013 15:00

When I power on, I get 7 beeps, a pause, 7 beeps...continiously...and a black screen. I tried what you suggested but still just get the beeping and black screen. Best Buy sent me to a competitor who said the fix (replace motherboard) is not worth the price. Recommended buying new laptop.

No Events found!