Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2012 19:00

Fan Noise

I just bought an Inspiron 5423 laptop which is an Ultrabook. I love everything about this laptop except that a grinding noise comes from the fan even under very regular operations. It comes and go every 10 minutes and last for 30 seconds. Even my wife can hear it from the other side of the room. I'm not sure if something is wrong with this brand new laptop or it is the regular noise for all the Ultrabooks of such brand. It's really annoying and I'm thinking to return it. Does anybody had the same issue. Is it possible to fix it. Please let me know.

Thanks.

msalehi

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

December 28th, 2012 22:00

Hi  msalehi,

I am not certain if your system fan has an issue as the diagnostics is not picking up any error.If possible get a hold of same system model (may be in a retail store or some one who uses the same system) and check the fan sound.

Compare the fan sounds between the two systems and let me know if you need further help.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

December 27th, 2012 20:00

Hi msalehi,

Welcome to the Community,

For this system model a new BIOS version  was released on 12/17/2012.

Try updating the BIOS from this link below and check if it helps to fix the issue with the fan noise.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-14z-5423

Note:While updating BIOS the AC adapter should be plugged in,Battery should be adequately charged and all external peripherals(USB devices) should be disconnected from the system.

Hope this helps,

Thank You

4 Posts

December 27th, 2012 22:00

Hi Roshan,

I updated the BIOS, but it still has the same issue. I don't think it has anything with the software. It's the fan itself which makes grinding noise whenever starts to rotate. Base on my experiences with other Dell laptops, the noise should be like blowing the air out, but this is not like that. Any other thought!

Thanks,

Msalehi

34 Posts

December 27th, 2012 23:00

return it before its to late....soundes like a bad fan....

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

December 27th, 2012 23:00

Hi  msalehi,

Try running the onboard hardware diagnostics(tap F12 on start up,select Diagnostics) to check if it picks up any problem with the fan.

Post back error/code message if any.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2012 07:00

I did the diagnostics and no error was found. Maybe the fan is manufactured like this. Whatever the problem is, I don't like the noise at all.

msalehi

4 Posts

December 30th, 2012 09:00

Hi Roshan,

I checked the same laptop in a store and it was not making the same sound at all under the same condition. Therefore, I concluded that for any reason the one that is shipped to me has an issue.

Thanks,

Msalehi

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

December 31st, 2012 20:00

Hi msalehi,

Please private message me your system Service Tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system details and get back to you.

Thank You

1 Message

January 22nd, 2013 22:00

Hi Roshan

I buy an Inspiron 14z and i have the same problem with the noise fan.

Do you have a new fix or patch to solve this problem or it is a manufacture problem???

Otherwise, how can i make valid the waranty, im from Hermosillo, Sonora Mexico and i buy the laptop in Tucson Arizona a month ago.

Thanks

Sergio Rossetti :emotion-21:

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 23:00

I agree with you because I have a same Inspiron 5423 laptop but it is working too cool and no any issue os fan or anything.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 01:00

Hi Sergio,

Welcome to the Community,

I would recommend you to first update the BIOS on your system.To download the latest BIOS go to www.support.dell.com,select Drivers and Downloads,enter system Service tag number,expand BIOS,download and update latest BIOS.

Note:While updating BIOS AC adapter should be plugged in,battery should be adequately charged and all external peripherals(USB devices) should be disconnected from the system.

Please post your full system model if you need further help.example  Inspiron 14z (1470) or  Inspiron 14z (5423).

March 9th, 2013 09:00

Inspiron 15Z 5523 I am having that same grinding noise with the fan. It started after 2 weeks of having the laptop. Has there been a solution found or is this just default work of the ultra book. I don't want to try BIOS the last time I did that on a computer it bricked. And reading the reply's it doesn't work anyway. Not happy to spend 900 on a laptop and it is malfunctioning two weeks after getting it. It was shipped from Dell.

it makes a loud grinding noise while the fan is running....it makes the noise as if something is pressing the bottom or top  of it and hitting the fan while it is running and when the laptop is moved it gets louder with the sound going in and out like a propeller. Very frustrated.

No Events found!