Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

March 4th, 2002 16:00

Disable touchpad

I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 and can not disable my touchpad when I plug in and use a Fellows Model: GelMouse. The touchpad stays active and drives me crazy! How can I disable the touchpad?????

March 5th, 2002 12:00

Reboot and press F2 as the system is booting to access the BIOS. On the second page you should be able to set the touchpad options - toggle the setting to Auto-Disable for the touchpad to be disabled when the system is booted with a PS/2 mouse attached.

1 Message

September 1st, 2002 09:00

I have my computer set to auto disable and still the touch pad works when I have another mouse plugged in, very annoying, how do i disable the mouse pad
DELL-Cynthia wrote:
- Reboot and press F2 as the system is booting to
- access the BIOS. On the second page you should be
- able to set the touchpad options - toggle the
- setting to Auto-Disable for the touchpad to be
- disabled when the system is booted with a PS/2 mouse
- attached.
-
-

-
-

2 Posts

March 16th, 2003 20:00

this method doesn't work with a USB pointing device. please see my response to original post. it may work better.

2 Posts

March 16th, 2003 20:00

I hope this helps: I just spent the past few hours with tech-support and eventually we decided to reinstall the touchpad driver after which the touchpad icon showed up in the taskbar and in my mouse settings and I was able to disable the touchpad via the taskbar icon or mouse settings. I tried to set it to auto-disable in the BIOS which didn't work.

September 5th, 2003 19:00

Hi there,

I'm brand spankin' new to this forum and forums in general.  I couldn't find your original response to the user who couldn't disable their touchpad.  I have a USB trackball connected to an Inspiron 1100 (for my daughter) and she keeps hitting the touchpad when she types and its causing grammar and spelling mistakes that are costing her grade points (high school).  Spell and grammar check don't catch them all.

If I would've know this about the 1100 or Dell laptops in general I would not have purchased it.  This is a HUGE user complaint that Dell shouldn't simply shrug off.

I hope (and pray) you might have a solution or a suggestion other than buying another laptop.  If I do, it certainly won't be a Dell laptop.  We've been loyal Dell customers for our last 4 computers but this is a big issue for us.

Thanks in advance.

3.1K Posts

September 9th, 2003 22:00

Captain93728,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try removing the pointing device drivers from the system.  You could also use an index card to cover the touchpad area on the keyboard. 

September 10th, 2003 14:00

Thanks Bob.  I appreciate your input.

Sounds like Dell hasn't done anything to address this irritating issue with their higher end laptops either.

Other than this one item my experience with the Dell product line and support have been exceptional.

I'll try the index card solution.

Thanks again!

Captain

5 Posts

September 19th, 2003 12:00

My Toshiba laptop has a great utility to disable/enable the touchpad with a function key. Takes only a second to disable the touchpad when using an external USB mouse, and re-enable it to ues the touchpad again.

Dell should think of developing such a utility.

8 Posts

September 21st, 2003 16:00

I had the same problem with a 1100 and after wasting time with Dell support ( they seem to be in la-la land). Somehow I got driver Version 5.9 for the synaptic mouse and that allowed me to disable the touch pad tapping in mouse properties. One more thing there are 2 Items in MSCONFIG  That are related to Synaptics and they must remain checked. Sorry I can not be more specific how I got the right driver. But after trying support and updates several times The driver had changed. And I am not at the laptop to identify the items in startup. But they are easy to identify.

Hope this was some help

Gene

1 Message

December 16th, 2004 22:00

"You could also use an index card to cover the touchpad area on the keyboard..."

You're joking, right? Please tell me, this was a joke?
No Events found!