Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2016 03:00

Dell XPS 9333 won't turn on, LED and keyboard light only switches on for a moment, no dell logo

Hi, my dell xps 9333 won't turn on. LED and keyword backlight switch on for a moment (less than a second) and then everything turns off. I tried to press Fn key while pressing switch on button, but same thing happens. I do not get any acoustic signal. Can you help me?

thanks, Damiano

October 31st, 2016 15:00

Hi Dagen

Thanks for writing to us.

When did the issue start? Was there any hardware or software changes done recently?

Most of the components are complicated to remove and re-seat in this model.

If the system is under warranty, Please click my DELL-username and write me a private

conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name, Phone#, Address and Email). If

there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call -

http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Regards

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 15:00

Hi,

thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay.

Some strange things started to happen after last big update of windows 10 , about 2 weeks ago. Among these, I had issues with waking the pc up after standby. After a few days, I could not turn the pc on after standby, I had the lights switching on for a second a then nothing, but upon trying 4-5 times I could finally turn the pc on. On that evening, I was not able anymore to turn the laptop on. This was exactly 1 week ago, on wednesday Oct 26th.

Now I've asked for support by the paid service call (my laptop is out of warranty), and they suggested me to change the mother board, I'm waiting for their quote. This scares me both for price and for difficulty of the operation. May I ask your opinion on this? Would you recommend this operation, or try something else before?

thank you again,

Damiano

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 16:00

General troubleshooting:

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and unplug the battery from the mainboard.  Hold the power button for 30 sec.

Verify that the LED on the adapter or DC plug comes on and stays on when connected only to the wall outlet.  If it doesn't, the adapter is bad;  replace it.

Verify that the LED stays on when you connect the system to the adapter.  If it doesn't, the DC jack in the system is the most likely faulty part:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

Leave the battery disconnected and try powering up on AC only.  If it will but not with the battery connected, the battery is bad.  

If the above produces nothing, the diagnosis of a bad mainboard is correct.   You're likely looking at $350-450 for the board, plus another $100 or so in labor to have a mainboard replaced, depending on the CPU you have and amount of RAM in the system.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 01:00

Hi ejn63,

thank your for your informative post. I'll see if I can do this myself or I'll let an expert person do it.

best,

Damiano

No Events found!