Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

64 Posts

July 31st, 2008 16:00

Dell Underclocking nVidia GPU... Complicated issue that needs a resolve..

I got this laptop about a month and a half ago and have spent the whole time trying to figure out this problem.  I've made countless posts about this on laptopvideo2go.com, and I might've found a temporary fix solution, but I want to fully fix this issue.   Just seeing if Dell forums has any useful info.  My laptop specs are at the bottom...

Overview:  In a game (Age of Conan), the screen freezes for 10-20 seconds and resumes play with underclocked settings and much less FPS.  Generally this only happens when on very high settings, but I'm not going to accept the fact that I should "just lower settings" when I can get 30-40 FPS easily on high settings.  This is a big problem that is recognized by many cards, mainly including the 8400/8600 line. 

Thing's I've tried:  RMClock with max performance settings...

Disabling PowerMizer...

RMClock + PowerMizer...

From what I've read, apparently nVidia and Dell recognize this problem, so in order to prevent it they inserted into the BIOS that once a certain temperature is reached (mine never got above 79C and the 8600 line is fine up to 90C... some have tested it up to 110C), the GPU underclocks in order to prevent failure of the GPU so companies can save money by not having to replace them.  This seems most viable. 

So, there's 2 solutions that I know of so far:

1)  Change the Throttling Settings and/or 2D settings in the BIOS so that my laptop GPU is full power 24/7.  Unfortunately, during the underclocking phase while playing AOC, the game would still freeze.  I'm trying to avoid this completely, not only b/c of the freezing issue, but because it wastes a ton of power when I'm not plugged in.  

2)  Change the temperature settings at which the underclocking occurs.  I'm not too sure how to go about this.   I know there are guides out there about how to change the BIOS clocks, but I think I remember reading we don't have control over the temps.  Are the temperature settings controlled by the driver and/or BIOS?? 

One main question:  Who does Dell use for the BIOS'?? Is it the GPU driver?? If I could get that info, we could probably find a way to change the BIOS so that the laptop will start using a higher temp settings before underclocking (the second option above).  

Any comments/solutions/suggestions are very helpful!  

Thanks!

--------------------

Dell XPS M1530

256MB nVidia GeForce 8600M GT

Using 177.79 Driver (from laptopvideo2go.com)

Overclocking to 580/800/1160 from 475/702/980

4GB  Ram

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz processor

Vista Home Premium 32-bit (x86)

Message Edited by Kaaji1359 on 07-31-2008 01:02 PM

178 Posts

August 1st, 2008 23:00

This isn't a solution but I can verify that this game freezes on my desktop with a 8800GT + Zalman cooler as well. However my FPS is back to normal after it unfreezes.

There's just so many issues with AoC right now (both gameplay and performance) that it's difficult to determine who is at fault. 

For example, there's the SM3.0 bug which causes FPS to drop inside villas.

I don't believe the 8600M GT can run AoC at high. Even the desktop one struggles.

Message Edited by Ledward on 08-02-2008 10:38 AM

64 Posts

August 2nd, 2008 00:00

I can play it on High (including Shader 3) perfectly fine except with shadows turned all the way off and the view distances halved.  Other than that, it's on high. 

268 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 01:00

I have an M90 with a 512mb FX5200M and I use 18kfangui to manually adjust the temp control when needed.

The temps arent lowered for the video card's sake, they are lowered to spare the chipset and conductor cable that reside beside them.I wouldnt raise them much over 80c as the card isnt what will fail, the parts around it will.

64 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 19:00

Ah gotcha, that makes sense. 

So how would I adjust the temps when needed??  Is there a way to put the fan on 100% whenever it gets over a certain temp., or is that already happening??

Someone else suggested I call Dell XPS Tech support about it and that after they did that dell replaced some parts and afterwards they havn't had any trouble.  I wonder if I should just do that...

268 Posts

August 10th, 2008 22:00

IIRC, the video fan turns on high at around 75 and turns down to low at 65 and turns it off at somewhere between 50-55

The reason most people dont like that is that the fan stays off until the GPU hits ~75

If you want a bit more control over it, google search 18kfangui. That program will give you complete control over the GPU fan and the CPU fan. It also allows you to monitor the temperatures of the hdd, chipset, ram, cpu, and GPU.

i8kfangui will also let you force the fans to high while you are playing games which should reduce or eliminate any lag times you have. Also purchasing a laptop cooler to keep air moving will also help.

If you are still interested in overclocking your GPU (I wouldnt for the beforementioned reasons) you can do that at the driver level with RivaTuner (google search it)
** last Edit:
I just saw that you have a 1530 - I'm pretty sure hte 1530 only has one fan that cools both the CPU and the GPU heatsink so you definitely need to download 18kfangui and force your fans to high speed while playing any game with high settings. Just make sure you slow the fan back down when you are done because running the fan on high for long periods will build up dust in the air vents and will also wear out the fan bearings.
Message Edited by notladstyle on 08-10-2008 06:49 PM
No Events found!