Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

February 1st, 2009 16:00

Dell Studio Leaking and emitting a very strong "metallic" taste.

Hello

A couple of days ago i woke up to find a clear fluid near my dell laptop and it had leaked onto the floor. I assumed it was just a spillage (even though i was 100% sure i didnt have any fluids ANYWHERE near my laptop) of some kind and cleared it up and moved on. anyway i moved my laptop across the room and i noticed that underneath it was a bit wet , but when i cleared that up i noticed that the underside of the laptop was emmitting this ...i want to say odour but there is no smell, yet when i look under the laptop i get this very strong metallic taste in my mouth (even with my mouth closed. Often i dont feel that well either afterwards.

As you can tell i am very worried about this, im not that sure what chemicals go into making computers but they surely cant be healthy to inhale.I need my laptop to work and i am in a position in where im scared to go near it let alone switch it on.

Can someone shed some light on this.

I dont really care as much about the laptop as i do my health (the laptop is working perfectly albiet for a dvd that has been stuck in the disc drive for a while now. Because the slot loading drive broke, and i was too busy to send it back.

Dell studio 1535.

3.6K Posts

February 1st, 2009 17:00

I would say it would be the battery that is leaking,because it can't be memory,or wireless card or anything else that i can think of.And if it is the battery you need to contact dell as i'm sure your system is still under warranty?...But as you said,i would not turn it on either until i contacted tech support.

806 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 07:00

discontinue using the machine and call dell right away. tell them that your system is leaking some kind of chemical and they will replace your system regardless of warranty status - this would be considered a safety hazard.

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 07:00

I dont think it is the battery though, because i removed it from the back of the comp and it definatley wasnt the source of it.

Weird, it seems to be coming from the middle of the bottom of the laptop (where there is a grill type vent)

1.6K Posts

February 2nd, 2009 08:00

It's probably thermal fluid, which is inside the heatsink/heatpipes.  Call and have a return for repair arranged.

806 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 08:00

if it is leaking any kind of chemical/fluid, they willnot repair the machine. they will replace it. it is considered potentially hazardous, and rather than trying to clean the unit and hope to get rid of the chemicals spilled, they will simply replace the unit.

3.6K Posts

February 2nd, 2009 11:00

Something could be frying on the inside,though where is the liquid coming from and why?...

I would still contact dell.

No Events found!