June 24th, 2004 16:00

Dell Latitude that won't boot

This is an older Dell Lattitude, on the bottom is says

Model No: PPX
Lattitud C Family
Express Service Code : 124-479-56
Dell LBL P/N : 72MUF A01
unfortunately the service tag is unreadable

This issue started a while back but up until now it was only happening very sporadically and it would fix itselt. Sometimes it turns on and functions fine. Other times you press the power button and all 3 lights turn green for about 10 seconds and then just turn off, nothing else. Disks don't spin up or anything. Someone on another forum site mentioned having the exact same problem with other models of Dell Inspirons and the fix they found was to remove the battery, remove the BIOS battery, hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then put it all back together.

I got mine apart and I see no CMOS battery. I was talking to a guy here at work and he said alot of newer laptops don't use a CMOS battery. Should there be one? I did find a jumper on the MB that was labeled JBOOT which when I jumper and then try and power on I hear a click through the system speaker and the power light flashes rapidly and it continues to do this until I remove the battery. when pulling the jumper off it continues to not work.

All drives have been pulled and reseated. I have tried it with and w/o the battery. I also tried it with good, known, working ram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently sold this laptop to my roomate and I feel bad that it's now acting up.

Thanks
Dan

Message Edited by dfinn on 06-24-2004 12:59 PM

8 Posts

June 25th, 2004 07:00

Have a search for latitude's that don't boot up, and read the replies where reseating of CPU's, cleaning of earthing points and tightening screws on the chassis.

There are some monster threads that talked about this.

I posted some solutions that worked for me when i experienced a similar problem.

Mark

11 Posts

June 25th, 2004 16:00

I don't see a socketed CPU anywhere on the MB. Any idea what I should be looking for in particular? I checked any ground I could see and tightened all screws and am still having the same problem. I tried to search for older posts about latitudes not booting up but the only answers I found where the Dell techs giving there generic answers(ie reseat all devices and ram).

8 Posts

June 25th, 2004 19:00

You might like to read the threads for further points, I know there are a lot of suggestions.

I had a similar fault, which we solved by reseating the cpu as well as tightening a loose screw and using an eraser to clean the tarnished grounding points. The laptop has remained
fully working since then.

This did not however, work for everyone.

Mark

11 Posts

Found the CPU, re-seated it and still no luck. Any other ideas?

11 Posts

I did try to search for them and I didn't find anything helpful. I'm new to this forum. Would you mind either telling how to use the search function (what I need to put in to find the exact posts I'm looking for) or perhaps providing me with the direct links.

Thanks
Dan
No Events found!