Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

2 Posts

November 16th, 2007 21:00

Blinking Caps Lock and Scroll Lock when booting

Dell Inspiron E1705 Windows XP So here's the story... I used it pretty much daily and never had any issues. I was using it one day and the turned it off when I left the house. When I returned and hit the power button to turn it on the following happened... { The power light lit up- indicating that it was plugged in. The Number Lock light light up and remained lit. The Caps Lock light began to blink. The Scroll Lock light began to blink. -The Caps Lock and Scroll lock blink in synchronization. I could hear the hard drive start up. All of the above continues for about 42 seconds. After that everything just turns off. } I have no idea what the problem is, how to diagnose it, or how to fix it. I'm hoping that the combination of blinking/non-blinking lights may point to a specific problem but have been unable to find the meaning of this or if there is indeed a meaning at all. There is no visible damage that my untrained eye can detect. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 16th, 2007 21:00

Unfortunately, the flash code is telling you the system board is faulty.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2007 22:00

So I need to replace the mother board?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 16th, 2007 22:00

Last-ditch effort: reseat the RAM. If it still won't power up, yes, the mainboard is faulty and will need replacement. It's not an inexpensive part to replace.

21 Posts

August 4th, 2008 02:00

Hi

I have a 2 year old Inspiron with exactly the same set of problems (flashing Caps lock and Scroll lock on pressing the power button)..

was working perfectly fine till about 5 days ago but now it won't boot and nothing happens..

I am living in India and the cost of replacing a faulty mainboard is prohibitively high..

Can i open the base of the laptop myself and try to reseat the mainboard?

As it is...I have run out of warranty..

Regards,

Lalit.

October 15th, 2011 08:00

I have a Dell Latitude d620 and it was doing the same thing so i bought a motherboard and installed it and it is still wont boot. Number lock light is solid and the cap and scroll lock lights blink for about 30 seconds and stop. There no hard drive sound or anything.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 15th, 2011 09:00

Remove the RAM from the system.  If you don't get a series of beeps, the board is faulty.

Last night is when I actually replaced the motherboard which I was getting all three lights solid. The board I bought off ebay is what I installed and when I started having this different issue I used the ddr2 memory from my other laptop and nothing happened. I hope I haven't been screwed on this new motherboard because it did say "as Is"

I've done that last night and besides it is not going into POST so the prosessor isn't even used at the intial boot.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

This is a processor error.  Make sure the CPU is fully seated and locked down.

April 12th, 2014 05:00

hey. i have a Dell latitude d620. i found out that the system cant run on 2 different types of RAM. i just swaped the rm and i worked fine.

No Events found!