Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

August 9th, 2003 01:00

7-pin connector

Does anyone know where to get a cable that will get to something besides the S-video on the "s-video" connector on the Inspiron?  I'd like to get at the composite and S/PDIF signals.  If I can't get a ready made cable, does anyone know where to get a 7-pin mini-din plug to fit the Inspiron socket?  I've looked around and the pin configuration on the Inspiron does not match the standard 7-pin mini-din configuration.

I know that I can get composite with an external adapter and a standard s-video cable.  I've done that and it works fine.  I'd just like to get at the signals that my machine produces, and right now, I can't see a way to do that.  I've looked all over the Dell web site and can't find any reference to an adapter, though I think they used to supply one with Inspirons.

I tried dell support - their response was:

"The S-video port is next to the USB connector."

No kidding!

33 Posts

August 9th, 2003 01:00

http://www.svideo.com has about any svideo cable you could ever need.  

4 Posts

August 9th, 2003 19:00

This is at ebay.  Should be what you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3425471821&category=31531

None of the techs seem to want to answer the question of whether this actually gives a working SPDIF for an Inspiron 1100...

33 Posts

August 9th, 2003 19:00

@knome2 wrote:

This is at ebay.  Should be what you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3425471821&category=31531

None of the techs seem to want to answer the question of whether this actually gives a working SPDIF for an Inspiron 1100...

This adapter also solves Black & White picture issues some users report (including myself). 

Message Edited by dogmanky on 08-09-2003 03:47 PM

5 Posts

August 9th, 2003 22:00

Thanks guys!  This info is much more helpful than anything I've gotten from Dell.

The svideo.com site is cool, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.  They have some of the wierd 7-pin connectors to composite, but nothing for the S/PDIF (that I could find).  The web site is huge so it'll take me a while to look around.

Fortunately, the e-bay link is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, assuming it does what the listing implies.  What's up with the e-bay thing?  It seems that they could just sell it.  Bidding is a drag, but I'll go for it I guess.

The problem with no color is very common when connecting s-video to composite.  There are two signals in an s-video connection - luma (black and white) and chroma (color).  The standard s-video to composite converter just feeds the luma directly to the composite and attaches the chroma to the same pin with a capacitor.  I put together one of those using a 470pf capacitor and it worked fine.  BTW, that's why you should be skeptical if you see a cheap adapter that says it goes both ways - splitting the luma and chroma to make s-video from composite isn't as trivial.  I think radio shack has a little box that does it, though.

Thanks again for all the help - nice to have this forum available.

298 Posts

August 11th, 2003 16:00

docrix:

It is my understanding that neither the Inspiron 1100 nor the 5100 are capable of S/PDIF output. This is a hardware limitation and no adapter or cable will help.

5 Posts

August 12th, 2003 17:00

Thanks, Rance.  I have a 600m and the configuration looks like there's place to enable S/PDIF.  I'll give it a try.

5 Posts

August 12th, 2003 17:00

Rance:

I have a couple of questions.  How come I have to come to this user supported forum to find out what is and isn't supported on my machine?  None of the downloadable nor the supplied documentation for the 600m gives any details of what's on the S-video connector (other than S-video).  For other laptops, at least they have a pinout picture with cryptic but semi-decipherable mnemonic names.  I got the pinout info from the i8200 manual and am gambling that mine is similar.

It looks like Dell could use something like a library of "application notes".

Thoughts?

Rick

298 Posts

August 12th, 2003 18:00

Rick:

You're correct in that the S/PDIF capability of the Inspiron 600m system is not really advertised by Dell. Part of the reason for this is that the system doesn't ship with the s-video to s-video/composite-video/SPDIF adapter which is necessary to take advantage of this feature. You will need this adapter or the D/Port APR (advanced port replicator) to accomplish this.

360 Posts

August 13th, 2003 06:00

which of course leads to:

why not use the feature as a selling point? Selling 5% more 600m's would probably more than make up the cost of bundling the adapter.

298 Posts

August 13th, 2003 12:00

ryri:

I am sure there are marketing reasons as well. For instance, the Inspiron 8500 has S/PDIF capability and is advertised as such.

Message Edited by DELL-Rance on 08-13-2003 08:12 AM

360 Posts

August 14th, 2003 01:00

Thanks Rance- that would answer the question.

August 30th, 2004 17:00

The correct link for the 7-pin S-Video + Digital Audio (S/PDIF) is http://www.svideo.com/dellcables.html

No Events found!