Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 7th, 2010 19:00

4 pin to 9 pin firewire compatability

Hi,

I've got a Latitube E6500 with a 4-pin firewire port that I'm trying to make work with a high speed SanDisk CompactFlash card reader with a 9-pin firewire connection on it.  I purchased a 4 pin to 9 pin adapter cable, but it does not work.  My understanding is that the 9-pin is a firewire 800 port and the 4-pin is a firewire 400 port.  I've read lots of cable reviews where individuals have used this same adapter cable to go from a 9-pin computer to a 4-pin cam corder or similar, but I can't find anyone going from the 9 pin device to a 4-pin computer. 

Should this cable be working for me?  This would mean there is a problem with the cable or 4-pin port on the computer (I know the card reader works, but I have no other means to test the cable or 4-pin port on the computer)  --- OR  ---  am I trying to fit 8 pounds of info into a 4 pound container and it will not work (ie. high speed firewire 800 card reader will never work with a low speed firewire 400 computer)???  This would mean my new super fast laptop purchased for photography will be slower on downloads than my old machine was which had a firewire 800 6-pin connection.

Thanks for the help...

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 8th, 2010 06:00

Your old machine was a Firewire 400 as well. The newer Firewire 800 has the 9pin which you have.

http://8help.osu.edu/1249.html

If your card reader can transfer only at Firewire 800 speed, then that would explain why your adapter cable is not working.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2010 08:00

Thank you... 

I read through the information on the link you posted and I think the problem is that my reader is not a self powered device so it uses the power from a 6-pin or 9-pin connection to operate.  Using the 4-pin to 9-pin adapter cable does not give it power to operate. 

This makes me a little upset with Dell.  I have ordered 2 high end laptops in the past 1.5 years and asked the sales agent on both occassions about the firewire capability of the machine.  In both cases I was assured that I was all set for my application. 

If you have an application that requires Firewire, don't get a Dell laptop or at least be absolutely sure that a 4-pin (non-powered) connector will work for you.  Not sure how much Dell is saving to go with 4-pin firewire connectors on their machines, but it seems that in the higher end machines they would use a 6-pin or better or would at least offer an option for it or explain the short comings of the 4 pin connector....

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 8th, 2010 10:00

at least be absolutely sure that a 4-pin (non-powered) connector will work for you. 

And that is the crux of the situation.

Most people use Firewire for camcorder DV capture. Firewire 400 is perfectly fine for that purpose.

Until you test out your card reader with a 6-pin port, you cannot say definitely what is the cause.

Frankly, if a manufacturer is using Firewire 800, you should be using Firewire 800 as well. What is the point of buying Firewire 800 when you don't even use it to its full capabilities? You might as well have bought USB device. 

As for 4-pin versus 6-pin on a laptop, it is a matter of real estate.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 8th, 2010 10:00

You need a Firewire Hub thats powered or an external Firewire drive with powered hub.

Manufacturer Part# : F5U526-APL
Dell Part# : A0518798

You then take 4 pin to 6 pin to the hub and use 6 pin out with power to the compact flash reader.

F5U526-APL Belkin FireWire 6-Port Hub

IOGEAR USB 2.0 / FireWire Combo Hub GUH420 Hub - Hi-Speed USB

No Events found!