Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2018 09:00

Nvidia geforce 920M on inspiron 5558 not recognized by device manager nor the bios

Hi to everyone,

My graphic card is not recognized in win10pro. not recognized in bios(tried with all the bios versions from dell website), and I tried some hardware detecting software but no success. also tried some suggestion from the similar problems here in the community but no luck.

I suspect that there is some bios problem, that is not recognizing this GPU.

The other one Intel HD is working fine.

Thank You in advance!

April 3rd, 2018 23:00

Hi ! Last night I solved the exact same issue with a Dell laptop. The video card wasn't recognized at all by Windows.

An ideea is to try to take out the BIOS Baterry, the one that keeps the time and date up to date. At least for me this solved the issue. When i put back all the pieces, i entered BIOS and surprisengly i saw the Swichtable Graphics option under the Video. And now it works very fine. 

10 Elder

• 

25K Posts

March 18th, 2018 10:00

You won't see it in BIOS setup, since it's software controlled.

First question:  has it ever appeared in the device manager?  If not -- the second question:

Are you certain your system has the OPTIONAL nVidia GPU?  It was an option on some models in this series - not standard on all of them.  To determine what you have, use the service tag at support.dell.com - it will show the original configuration of the system.

If the GPU did once show up, but does not now, chances are it has failed.  The mainboard will need to be replaced.

2 Posts

April 4th, 2018 11:00

Sandu Vlad,

You don't know what You have done for me! I was trying to find the solution to my problem for two years, but never cross my mind that that tiny button battery was the key!

I was so disappointed with my laptop! till now!

Thank You hundred times!! if You come to Skopje , Macedonia, please let me buy you a drink!

Best Regards! Nenad

April 4th, 2018 16:00

I'm glad that it worked ! If this could be a general solution, maybe we should post this to other forums, where other people encountered the same issue. 

Cheers mate ! :)

September 29th, 2018 01:00

Thanks alot :)

December 9th, 2018 07:00

sir i have a Inspiron 5558 and recently i updated my BIOS to A16 from support.dell after updating i found my nvidia control panels option was just disappeared so i just try to reinstall all the drivers again by resetting my laptop and try installing new windows and also spent lots of hours and days to internet to explore the solution for my problem i watched ton of videos and went through ton of articles for solutions but none of these uploaders mentioned to remove the CMOS battery and re-plug it and thats the reason i was failing every single time i was attempt to resolve this frustating problem to install my nvidia drivers again, so i just wanna thank you so much for this wonderful solution you just made my day thanks a lot sir

1 Message

January 7th, 2019 05:00

Hi

WOW it's Worked.Just remove CMOS battery and replace it. I wasted 3 month but this worked.

Thank you!

May 12th, 2019 20:00

Hey, explain me better. You just removed the battery and replaced it, then restarted the notebook and the nvidia has been reconized, simply that?

2 Posts

February 4th, 2020 00:00

2 Posts

February 19th, 2020 21:00

1 Message

July 7th, 2020 13:00

Hey so you just remove and out back the CMOS battery right?

1 Message

October 18th, 2020 21:00

Hello!

I did tried your solution, removing the button battery..

after putting it back, I had to fix the BIOS date, but the card is still not showing

i there any other trick you recommend for this problem? thank you!

May 9th, 2022 16:00

Thank you thousands of times

No Events found!