Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

4 Posts

November 6th, 2019 09:00

Docking station for Inspiron 15 , 5000 series

I am looking for a docking station that will support two external monitors, keyboard and mouse for a Dell Inspiron 15, 5000 series. Would either the Dell WD15 Monitor Dock or the Dell USB 3.0 TripleDisplay Docking Station Work?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 6th, 2019 09:00

@MaryEtta  which specific Inspiron 15 5000 Series model do you have?  The Inspiron 15 5000 Series includes several models introduced over several years.  Also, what is the resolution (or resolutions) of your displays?  The WD15 would likely be the best option if it would be suitable for that system.  As for the other one you mentioned, it's not clear what specific model you're referring to because Dell makes a few different triple display USB 3.0 docking stations, such as the D3100 and D6000, but the general advantage of those docks is broad compatibility.  However, they also use a technology for video output called DisplayLink that isn't ideal if you can avoid it (and the D3100 doesn't support charging the system over the connection to the dock.)  By comparison, the WD15 taps into native GPU outputs wired to the system's USB-C port, so it doesn't have the drawbacks of DisplayLink, but it requires your system to have a USB-C port that actually has a GPU output wired to it (which not all USB-C ports do) and it also only supports dual displays up to 1920x1200 each -- hence my questions about what specific system model you have and what display resolution(s) you're trying to run.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2019 10:00

I'm not sure which model I have. The tag just says Inspiron 15, 5000 series. I looked on the black tag on the back of the computer and don't see a model number there. Where do I find the model number?

4 Posts

November 6th, 2019 11:00

Thank You. The model is a 5570 and the monitors would be 24" with a Pixel Resolution of 1920 X 1200 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

If you have Dell Update installed, it should tell you when you open it up.  Or you can go to support.dell.com and enter your Service Tag in the search box, which you should find on the underside of your laptop (do not post your Service Tag on this forum!), and the page it takes you to should show your system model.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@MaryEtta  ok, the Setup and Specifications document for that system on support.dell.com says this about the USB-C port: "One USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Type-C) with Power Delivery/DisplayPort (optional)".  It seems that the 5570 is available with or without an AMD Radeon GPU, so it's possible that only systems that have the Radeon GPU have a USB-C port.  But as long as your specific system does in fact have a USB-C port, which you can tell just by looking at it, then that port will support video output and charging.  So given that and the fact that you're using dual 1920x1200 displays, I would recommend either the WD15 or its newer replacement the WD19.  The WD19 has a slightly different display output port configuration and support for some new features, although your current system can't use them, so if you can get a good deal on the WD15, go with that.  Otherwise, you may as well get the WD19 for futureproofing if nothing else.  Both models are available with both 130W and 180W power supplies to accommodate systems with different power requirements, but the 180W version is only needed when using systems that require 130W all on their own, and the Inspiron 5570 only requires either 45W or 65W depending on whether you have a Radeon GPU, so just get the 130W version.

Note that certain features of the WD15 and WD19 might not work on an Inspiron system, including the dock's Power button (which would normally be usable for powering the system on without opening the lid), possibly the ability to update the dock firmware, and some other enterprise-oriented features I doubt you'd care about.  Those features require firmware-level support within the system you're using, and at the moment it seems Dell is only implementing that in their Latitude, Precision, and XPS systems.  But for everyday operations, you should be completely fine.

If on the other hand your system does NOT have a USB-C port, then you'd be stuck with a USB 3.0 dock that used DisplayLink as your docking station choice, and in that setup the dock would not be able to charge the system.  In that case I'd recommend the D6000, which can connect either via USB-A ("regular USB", for your current system) or USB-C.  The latter again might be nice to have for futureproofing with another system you might get in the future, and when the D6000 is connected via USB-C, it can provide up to 60W of power.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 6th, 2019 12:00

@MaryEtta  in addition to my post above, on further thought, the way the description of the USB-C port is written makes it ambiguous whether the entire USB-C port is optional or whether the DisplayPort video output capability of the port is optional (or possibly both, I guess).  If DisplayPort video output is optional, then it might be possible to have a USB-C port that does not support have a GPU output wired to it, which of course would be a problem for a docking station that relied on that to deliver video.  However, looking at some images of actual Inspiron 5570 systems, I'm seeing some with a USB-C port that has a "DP" (DisplayPort) logo to the right of it.  Do you have that port with that marking?  If so, then you're good to go with the WD15 or WD19 as I suggested above.  If you have that USB-C port but do NOT see that DisplayPort logo to the right of it, then the fact that I'm seeing pictures of 5570s that DO have it would suggest that your system's USB-C port does not support video output.  In that case, I would go with the D6000 and plug it into the USB-C port.  That way the dock will still be able to charge the system, and DisplayLink technology will be able to provide video even though there's no actual GPU output wired to that port.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2019 13:00

Thank you so much. That is extremely helpful information. 

1 Message

April 13th, 2021 01:00

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 5575 AMD Ryzen 5 laptop. I don't see a usb c type port anywhere on the laptop. I want to be able to connect to 2 monitors in extended mode. Which docking station would be appropriate?

1 Message

June 8th, 2021 04:00

Can anyone suggest suitable dock station for Inspiron 15 5509 Model, It is having USB 3.2 Type C Gen 2 port. Want to use dock station for Laptop charging, Internet Connection, Display etc.

No Events found!