Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2020 10:00

Precision 7510, WD19 does not detect UP3216Q

My system consists of a Dell Precision 7510 Laptop, two Dell UP3216Q monitors and a Dell dock WD19. Every time I connect my laptop to the dock, at first the dock does not detect any screens including the laptop. However, If I unplug the dock, log in just using my laptop and plug the dock back, it detects the UP3216Q monitors and shows desktop on both screens. It also does the same thing when I lock my computer or put to sleep mode. Is there a solution to this issue where I can just attach the dock to the laptop and it will show all the screens right away?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 8th, 2020 11:00

@ameyzing  You just have a regular WD19, not a WD19TB?  In that case, I suspect part of the issue here is that you've got dual 4K displays attached to a dock that with your system would support at most a single 4K display, and possibly only at 30 Hz rather than the default 60 Hz.  It would depend on which GPU in your system has direct control of the USB-C/TB3 output and whether it supports DisplayPort HBR2 or HBR3.  That might account for drivers behaving in strange or inconsistent ways.

If on the other hand you have a WD19TB, then dual 4K 60 Hz displays is possible from that system, but for both to operate at 60 Hz there are restrictions on the combinations of outputs you can use, and those restrictions vary based on whether the system is using DisplayPort HBR2 or HBR3.

But if you've got a WD19TB and both displays are working properly at 60 Hz otherwise, my only suggestion would be to update the following if you haven't already, and do so in this order:

• System BIOS
  • System Thunderbolt drivers/software
  • System TB3 controller firmware (this is not part of the BIOS update)
  • Intel Graphics drivers
  • Discrete GPU drivers
  • WD19/WD19TB firmware

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647370536100.png

5 Posts

July 24th, 2020 14:00

@jphughan I have just the WD19 and not WD19TB. So it sounds like this is more of an inherent system configuration issue and there is really not a solution to it except for upgrading the dock.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 24th, 2020 15:00

@ameyzing  I don't know if having a regular WD19 accounts for the weird issues you're seeing, but the WD19 cannot run dual displays at 4K 60 Hz each, so even if you weren't having those issues, you wouldn't be making the most out of those displays.  And in the specific case of the Precision 7510, the WD19TB isn't a perfect solution either.  The reason is that the WD19TB can supply up to 130W to an attached Dell system, but the Precision 7510 is designed for a 180W power source.  Starting with the next generation of systems, specifically the Precision 7x20 models and above, Dell built them with dual USB-C/TB3 ports and introduced the WD19DC, which plugged into both connectors and therefore could supply up to 210W to the attached system.  But the Precision 7x10 models don't have that, nor is there any dock that can supply 180W over a single connector.  (The official max of the USB PD spec is actually 100W.  Dell stretched that to 130W by doing something proprietary, but 180W would be quite a leap.)  So even if you get a WD19TB, you'd need to keep the system's own power adapter directly connected as well for optimal performance.

And then in terms of getting dual 4K 60 Hz displays running, there are requirements for the combination of outputs you can use, and those vary based on whether the WD19TB is used with a system that supports DisplayPort HBR2 or HBR3.  I'm not sure which standard the GPUs in the 7510 support, but with an HBR2 system, one of the displays would need to be connected to the "downstream" TB3 port at the edge of the dock, using something like a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.  The other can be connected to any other output.  With an HBR3 system, you have to AVOID using the "downstream" TB3 port for a 4K 60 Hz display, and instead use two of the other ports, e.g the two DisplayPort outputs.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2023 08:00

I have a similar problem with DELL UP2116q / WD19 130W /and Precision 3541.

This monitor can work using UHD 4k and 60p with 10 bit color.

I'm not able to get it. All what I can have is 4K 30Hz and 8bit color using Displayport 1,2 cable.

The same is when connect monitor to WD19 using HDMI cable.

If i use HDMI cable direct to laptop (without WD19) - I have 4K 60Hz but still 8bit color depht.

Is there any chance to get 4K60Hz using WD19?

Is there any chance to get 10 bit depth color?

ps. I have checked this monitor on another computer (not laptop) with Nvidia graphic and everythink works fine.

No Events found!