Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

May 11th, 2020 18:00

Inspiron 5680 CPU cooling fan not recognized

So I recently decided to upgrade the CPU cooler on my Inspiron 5680, as my i7 8700 would get up to temps of 80C and above frequently, even under moderate loads. (disclaimer here - I am pretty new to PCs, so my knowledge is somewhat limited).

I installed a Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212. Mostly everything with the install went seamless (other than removing the entire motherboard to get the backplate on, ugh); but plugged the Master Cooler into the 4 pin CPU fan slot on the MOBO, and thought I was good to go. 

Booted up, and the Cooler Master fan is definitely running, but the computer doesn't seem to recognize it at all. The fan just runs at full speed always. I've downloaded Speedfan, Argus monitoring, and went to the BIOS, and the CPU fan doesn't show up anywhere. This is a little annoying to me. I'd prefer if the fan didn't run at full speed at all times if it doesn't need to.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems when installing a third party CPU cooler on a dell motherboard? Anyone know a fix? 

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

10.9K Posts

May 11th, 2020 21:00

Something wrong with this PWM fan?  If fan is not recognized but spins, sounds like it had power but no rotation speed feedback to motherboard.  If possible I would test heatsink fan in another pc to verify PWM works (that you did not get a faulty one), assuming the original stock cpu fan was recognized by 5680 and rotation speed was adjustable.

7 Technologist

• 

10.9K Posts

May 12th, 2020 20:00

what about the original stock heat sink fan?  if you plug that one in the cpu fan header does your board read back fan speed in HWMonitor or speedfan app?

May 12th, 2020 20:00

Thanks for the feedback - I wish I had another PC to test the PWM feedback on this fan, but unfortunately, I do not. I agree with your assessment that the fan is powered, but just isn't receiving any PWM feedback from the motherboard. 

Dell responded to my inquiry with "dell doesn't recommend third party upgrades, bye", which was super not helpful. 

I'm honestly wondering if anyone has upgraded the CPU fan on a 5680 motherboard successfully, or if it won't recognize any third party fans at all. Like I'm tempted to get a different CPU cooler, but I'm nervous that I will have the same issue. 

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

May 13th, 2020 11:00

Neither HWMonitor nor SpeedFan can see or control CPU fans on Dell PCs.

Dell CPU fans are wired differently so BIOS can control their speed.  Non-Dell fan speeds typically can't be controlled...

7 Technologist

• 

10.9K Posts

May 14th, 2020 05:00

In the old days of Dell giants they liked to use proprietary 5 pin special Dell fan connectors. In those cases it is probably correct that non Dell app is not able to access fan speed.  In current days more and more Dell cpu fans headers have moved to industry standard 4 pin PWM as verified by users report of easy smooth upgrade of Dell cpu fan to aftermarket model.  the 5680 uses standard 4 pin cpu fan header.  imo it should be accessible by non Dell app. https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-5680-memory-question/td-p/5789919?lightbox-message-images-6033639=1804i87DFE8FB257FF9C0

PS evidence of other dell model cpu fan upgrade: https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/XPS-8900-CPU-cooler-upgrade-much-quieter-and-cooler-operation/td-p/5105907

The HW engineering design in Dell has certainly had diverging directions: more industrial standard to fan and usb/front panel connector on one hand, more proprietary ATX connectors on the other. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 14th, 2020 10:00

Dell whether using 3 pin or 4 pin or 5 pin header does not always use the same order on the pins as a standard fan.

Its bad advice to say that any standard fan works on any dell.

If you replace the dell fan with standard fan and it says fan not detected or other error its likely that the fan wires will need to be changed to be consistent with the dell output.

Look at the fan and determine where the BLUE wire is then the Red Wire then black then yellow or white wire.

Black = Ground

Blue = PWM

Yellow = Tach

Red = 12v

The common cooling fans used in computers use standardized connectors with two to four pins. The first two pins are always used to deliver power to the fan motor, while the rest can be optional, depending on fan design and type:

• Ground – common ground BLACK
  • Vcc (Power) – nominally a +12 V RED supply, though it may be variable depending on fan type and desired fan rotation speed
  • Sense (or tachometer)YELLOW output from fan – outputs a signal that pulses twice for each rotation of the fan as a pulse train, with the signal frequency proportional to the fan speed
  • Control input – a  BLUE (PWM) input signal, used when the cooling fan assembly has an internal motor driver circuit. Fan assemblies with this control input provide the ability to adjust the rotational speed of the fan without changing the input voltage delivered to the cooling fan assembly. A variable rotation speed allows the cooling rate to be adjusted to meet demand, quietening the fan and saving energy when full speed is not required.
  • https://www.handsontec.com/pdf_files/4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf

PINOUTPINOUT

•  3VRGY 03VRGY CN-03VRGY G8CNY 0G8CNY CN-0G8CNY
  • 331-5538 X9P3T 89R8J 089R8J CN-089R8J DW014 0DW014
  • CN-0DW014 M3M04 0M3M04 0KXRX 00KXRX CN-00KXRX

Look at the pins to see what order they are in.

Standard uses Black Yellow Green Blue

Dell uses different colors and the order is not consistent across models.

Some newer models all the wires are black so you cant tell. You would need to use meter to find 12v and ground or a scope to look for the pwm and tach signals.

No Events found!