Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

October 9th, 2017 14:00

SD and Compact Flash card reader not working in Windows 10

Good afternoon.  I inserted my CF card into my PC today and it did not show at all.  I had used it about a week ago with no issue.  When I opened 'This PC' it did not show either.  I ran windows update and found no issues.  I ran Dell Diagnostics and found no issues but when it told me to insert the card and I did it didn't see it.  I am running Windows 10 64-bit with the latest updates.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

October 9th, 2017 15:00

What do you mean Dell XPS is not a dell model?  The Dell I have had the Compact Flash Reader in the desktop itself and it is not connected to the machine.  It is not a dell product in what way?  The flash reader is part of the tower.  I upgraded to Windows 10 on the Dell machine I had Windows 7 on.  Again I said last week this was working fine.  I don't know if you read my post correctly but the fact that you said Dell XPS 8700 is not a dell model makes me think you are either trolling me or just do not know what the heck you are talking about.  I am looking for some serious help here.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 9th, 2017 15:00

Compact flash is specific and very very very old.  This is not a dell product and Dell XPS is not a dell model.  Windows 10 requires chipset and intel RST drivers because older chipsets are not supported.  Dell does not sell or support compact flash.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 9th, 2017 19:00

Tried a different CF card?

Did the card reader die?

What about a System Restore to latest date available where the reader worked? Personal files won't be affected but any software or updates installed after the date of the Restore point will have to be reinstalled. It's always a good idea to back up personal files on external media before running a System Restore, just to be safe.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 10th, 2017 08:00

XPS is not a model just as FORD is not a Model for a car nor is Baskin Robins a flavor of Ice cream.

"  I upgraded to Windows 10 on the Dell machine I had Windows 7 on. " and if this model is not supported with windows 10 there won't be direct support for windows 10.

Run the Hardware troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Type
    Troubleshooting in search and click Troubleshooting.
  3. Now type
    Hardware Troubleshooter in the search option.
  4. Click on
    Hardware troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

These are "Models"  XPS is not a model.

Select your XPS

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 10th, 2017 12:00

You can also try reinstalling the Win 10 card reader driver for the XPS 8700

www.dell.com/.../drivers

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

October 10th, 2017 18:00

I apologize if I was incorrect in my wording and I misunderstood you, Speedstep.  I meant Dell XPS 8700 as in a Ford Bronco.  I ran the troubleshooter and it said the card reader was fine.  However, I do have an external USB adapter cable for the card.  It is listed as SCM Micro USBAT-02.  That used to work fine as well.  The computer says the drivers for this device are not installed and there are no compatible drivers for this device.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

October 10th, 2017 18:00

I am going to try and answer everyone on here as best I can.

RoHe,

I do not have a different CF card to try.  According to the troubleshooter the hardware is working properly.  I have not tried a system restore as of yet as the last time I used it was over three weeks ago and I didn't want to mess up any of the program updates I have.  

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

October 10th, 2017 19:00

Speedstep, I clicked the link for my appropriate model in your post and it had three drivers for removable storage.  I installed three and no success.  RoHe, I went to the link for drivers you posted and the one listed for removable storage was the same as the one on the page Speed suggested.  No success.  I don't know if knowing the name of the cable helps at all but I can hope.  Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

I also tried the cable on my wife's computer as she does not have a compact flash card.  Same result, no drivers found.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

card SLOT, sorry.  Used the USB cable to connect.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 11th, 2017 12:00

Now I'm totally confused. Is the card reader internal or an external reader? And why did you use that USB cable?

Unless you can try a different CF card or test this one on a different PC with a known working reader, you're stuck because you don't know if it's the card or the reader... Maybe a local PC shop can test it for you, as a favor..?

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

October 11th, 2017 15:00

Sorry for the confusion, RoHe.  It is an internal card reader.  It doesn't recognize the card being there once it is inserted.  I also have a USB cable with a port for Compact Flash cards intended to use the compact flash on PCs that didn't have a reader.  The cable is the item that shows up as SCM Micro USBAT-02.  It's an older cable also and Windows can't find the drivers to make it work.  I think the card works because if I use it to take pictures I can review them on the card through the camera.  I found a cheap USB 50 in 1 card reader that says it is in stock at my local Office Depot.  I might just pick that up and see if I can read it through that.  

It is just so odd as the reader worked on 9/20.  Troubleshooter says it is working but unfortunately I only have the one Compact Flash card to test.  I'm not sure if I should grab the 50 in 1 or just try a new Flash card.  

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 11th, 2017 17:00

Hardware can fail at any time, and when least expected...

You'll have to decide which is the better route, a new card or a new reader. Guess it depends on which one you'd use, once you figure out if it's the card or the reader. Maybe you could buy one or the other and then return it, if it doesn't solve the problem?

System Restore is typically reversible, so you could undo it if doesn't fix the problem. But set a new Restore point right before you do a Restore to the last available date when the reader was working, as extra measure of safety.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

October 11th, 2017 19:00

Rohe,

Well I guess it is either a hardware or software error.  I bought the  Vivitar 50 in 1 card reader, plugged in the compact flash and off we went.  Pictures downloaded fine.  Who knows.  It was only $10 so it wasn't bad at all.  But thank you for all your help.  

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 12th, 2017 12:00

Glad the new card reader works and the immediate problem is fixed.

Are other type cards still read by the internal reader?

Suggest you back up personal files on external media ASAP and thoroughly scan for malware, to be safe.

You might also consider resetting BIOS. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Copy down all current settings in BIOS. Then power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. While you're in there, re-set the cable connection from the card reader to the motherboard. Then reinstall the battery (time for a fresh one?) and close up and boot the PC. See if that CF card is read now.

Note: If you get any error messages when booting after resetting BIOS, reboot and press F2 to open setup again. Make sure all settings match what you wrote down. Save any changes and exit setup.

The Fall update for Win 10 will be out in a couple of weeks. If you're lucky, it might fix the reader problem, assuming it's software and not hardware...

No Events found!