Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 2nd, 2007 14:00

Precision 530 CPU upgrade

Having read many posts in this forum on this subject I am still confused as I can't seem to find a definitive answer to the following.

I am about to upgrade my 530 to faster CPU's. (Currently running dual 1.7 GHz on an older 2H882 mainboard).

I have sourced a later version 3N384 mainboard which i understand can support up to 2.8 or 3.0 GHz.

What Intel processors can I use on this board? I am looking for the specific SLxxx sSpec numbers so that I may source these myself.

Depending on the choice of CPU - what is the correct Dell part number for the compatible VRM? (I currently have 0G512's)

Is the choice limited to straight P4 Xeons - or do any of the options include hyperthreading or dual core?

If anyone else has solved this and knows the precise info, I would be grateful for a reply - either here or directly at teknikATchannel6DOTdk as I'm not on the forum everyday.

Many thanks - happy new year

54 Posts

January 3rd, 2007 00:00

As you say... "If I knew...." trouble is, I'm not sure, as I haven't yet received the board from the supplier, and I'm not sure how this board compares spec-wise to my existing (earlier version) 530 motherboard. But thanks for the link anyway. :)

12.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2007 00:00

If you know what chipset is on that board you could go to the Intel site to see what the chipset supports, give you an idea anyway.

January 12th, 2007 15:00

Hi. I have a workstation 530 currently with the 3n384 motherboard. I have been doing some research since I'm attempting to build this machine and so far hasnt worked. So far as I know the cpu sockets are 603 an supports up to 3ghz. I also have the 0512 vrm. Using the diagnostic lights lately i have been reciveing a motherboard/hardware failure/incompatibility and a both vrm failure. I am running two Xeon 1.7 ghz, 256 L2. Research tell me the 3n384 is setup for 512 L2. I dont know for sure if this is my problem yet. I've noticed that the 256 L2 has a voltage of 1.75v and the 512 L2 has a voltage of 1.5v. I suspect this might be why i am reciving a vrm failure b/c i'm pulling to much power to the cpu's. Also noticed that my stepping and sSpec number on the cpu's are different. Another reason for my problem maybe? I haven't found a direct answer on this. I also belive the BIOS is A08 and have read on other forums that updating to A011 will help support upgraded chips and bigger harddrives? (do not know this for a fact.) If you have any enlightenment on what you've found so far the help would be appriecated and hope some my findings may give you info onto what to look into. Thanks.

January 12th, 2007 15:00

I also found this site which I was basing my cpu knowledge off of.

54 Posts

January 12th, 2007 20:00

Since my last posting I've been gathering information on this subject. I've had some help on this from a colleague who works at Dell. Here's what I know so far...

The Precision 530 was first released with the 32NCC mainboard, which had some faults and was soon updated with the 2H822 board. Both these boards use the Intel Colusa i800 chipset, and only support the Foster class Intel P4 Xeon processors up to about 2.0GHZ.

Later versions also with the Colusa i800 chipset used the 3N384 CPU, which is a Prestonia class processor, which is (was) available up to 3.0 GHZ - with and without hyperthreading. Dell only supported this mainboard up to 2.8GHz, though there are those who say that it works fine at 3.0GHz.

Both board versions and CPU classes only supported a 400MHz quad pumped front side bus speed. Both mainboards use the 603 pin CPU socket - this applies to both the Foster and Prestonia class CPU's .

The Foster class CPU's will only work in the 32NCC and 2H822 mainboards and likewise the Prestonias will only work in the 3N384 mainboards.

For those looking for a Prestonia upgrade, the following CPU specs are important -

80532 Pentium 4 Xeon
Code name Prestonia
Front Side Bus 400MHz
32bit
2thread
Dual Processor capable
0.13µm
HyperThreading
512kB L2
Socket mPGA603

Dell does not publish the Intel sSpec numbers for these processors (I'm still compiling a list of Xeon prestonias which fall within the above specifications). The Dell info on upgrade parts is -

Intel 80532 2.8 512, 400C1. Dell Part Number is 0W761
Intel 80532 2.6 512, 400C1. Dell Part Number is 4U879
Intel 80532 2.4 512, 400C1. Dell Part Number is 2P356

The 2.8GHz SL6MS and SL6M7 seem to be amongst likely CPU candidates.

These are all Socket 603. CPU's with only 256K L2 cache will also work (at least in the Foster class boards), but the 512K cache is recommended.

Note that Dell specify the C1 stepping code - though I suspect that this is not critical, but dual CPU's must/should have the same stepping.

There were several VRM's available for the 530, though early on Dell seemed to use the VRM with the best spec for all units, regardless of CPU.

This was the most common/popular VRM - Dell Part number 0G512 - The ones with Revision E or Rev E suffix seem to be the latest. These will work for CPU's from the Foster class - right up to the 2.8GHz Prestonia class.

When upgrading any Precision 530, always ensure that you are running the latest BIOS - currently (Jan 2007) A11.

I hope others may benefit from this info...

Message Edited by channel6 on 01-14-200712:17 AM

January 12th, 2007 22:00

After research today I found out that i think my problem right now is that I put the 1.7ghz foster class cpu's that have a voltage of 1.7v into the 3n384 motherboard that supports the Prestonia at 1.5v. The vrm's that i have are the 0g512 which support the Prestonia at 1.5v. i believe the cpu's are tryin to pull 1.7v and is denied that by the vrm's thus causing a vrm failure. I have ordered two new cpu's an heres the info on them:

2.2ghz, 512k L2, C1 stepping, sSpec: sl6en

After reading what you posted i think these shall work. The link that i posted gives all the sspec numbers and stepping version if you haven't looked at it yet. I have saw some of those 2.8ghz on ebay didnt feel the need to spend that much on dual processors so i stayed with the 2.2ghz. I still don't have a deffinate answer on the bios version yet but i'm researching that still just to be prepared.

54 Posts

January 12th, 2007 23:00

I have it on good authority from a Senior Dell engineer who was responsible for Precision 530 lead support in Europe for several years that the original 5D722 VRM was suitable up to 2.0GHz (Foster Class) and was replaced by the 0G512 with the introduction of the Prestonia Class CPU's to meet the more stringent voltage stability requirements of the Prestonia CPU's. The 0G512 will though run the Foster Class CPU's, as it's not the VRM that selects/sets the core voltage - the VRM simply regulates the voltage that the CPU and chipset request. I know this works as my Dual 1.7GHz Foster CPU setup on a early mainboard is using the 0G722 VRM's - and has worked fine since 2001.

Maybe you have a faulty VRM?
No Events found!