Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2011 16:00

Is there such thing as a Firewire to USB adapter?

I just purchased the Dell XPS 8300.  It does not come with any firewire ports (1394 ports).  I was thinking I could simply buy a Firewire to USB adapter.  When I checked on Amazon and other sites, there doesn’t seem to be any that exist (Firewire female to USB male) and the few that do have very negative reviews with most people claiming that they don’t work.  Some people claim that going from Firewire to USB is not possible.  Does anyone have any input on this?  Or do you know of a device (other than a firewire card) that would do the job (and that has favorable user reviews)?  If so, please post the link to it.   

The reason I may not be able to use a firewire card is because there might not be enough slots in the XPS 8300 (only 1 available).  I started a thread about that issue here:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19427170.aspx

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 14th, 2011 18:00

the Pixela Firewire to USB bridge is no longer manufactured.

Firewire to USB2.0 DV Transfer Cable

It's the only one like it in the world!

The DV to USB 2.0 Transfer Cable is designed to provide superior image quality and blazing fast transfer times. It's patented micro chip technology within the cable module converts data from a firewire connection to USB 2.0 connection.

Read More  

PIX-UVCD/U1W

Specifications and system requirements

Specifications
Importing Format (Movie/Still Image) Movie: DV (NTSC) Still Image: BMP
Importing Format (Audio) DV-Audio
Dimensions (Body) Approx. 78mm x 32mm x 16.4mm
Cable Length Approx. 1.2m
Weight Approx. 66g
Storage Temperature 0 to 40 degrees for operation
-10 to 50 degrees for storage
Power USB bus power (+5V)
Power Consumption Approx.300mA
Connector Configuration USB: TypeA IEEE1394: 4 pins
Bundled Software ImageMixer Ver.2.0 (DV import/edit/DVD creation software)
System Requirements
Supported Computer A Windows computer equipped with USB2.0 compliant USB port.
*Pre-installed Microsoft Corporation Operating System with a USB 2.0 driver.
Supported OS Windows XP ServicePack 1/1a or higher (pre-installed OS recommended).
*DirectX 9.0b compatible PC required.
CPU Intel Pentium III 1GHz or higher. Equivalent performance of Intel Pentium 4, Pentium 4 HT, Celeron, AMD Athlon, or Athlon XP.
Memory 128MB or more (256MB or more recommended).
Display 800x600 pixels or higher, 16bit (High color) or higher, 16MB VRAM or higher (64MB or more recommended). *Graphic Accelerator (compatible with overlay display) with DirectX 9.0b or higher.
Sound Sound Blaster or equivalent
Hard Disk UltraATA-66 or higher
Required disk space for installation: approx. 300MB or more
Required disk space for operation: approx. 15GB or more recommended
*Depends on the size of videos to edit.
*A hard disk which supports the DMA transfer function is recommended. The DMA transfer function must be enabled.

*If the digital video camera is in the camera mode, still images/videos cannot be imported. Switch to the play-mode to import still images and videos.
*In order to use this product in a muti-user environment, you need to login as an Administrator.
*When using an overclocked CPU or a DualCPU, functionality cannot be guaranteed.
*When compiling a DVD-Video or Video CD, a compatible DVD drive is required.
*Use discs recommended by the drive manufacturer.
*Compiled discs may not be played on some players.
*The usable disc space of a DVD-R is approx.4GB. A 700MB CD-R has a usable disc space of approx.660MB and a 650MB CD-R has a usable disc space of approx.600MB.

Supported Camera/Camcorders (as of December 28, 2004)
Canon IXY DV M2
IXY DV M3
FV M100
FV M20
DM-FV50
Panasonic NV-GS200K
NV-GS120K
NV-GS70K
NV-GS55K
NV-GX7
SHARP VL-Z900
VL-Z300
VL-Z7
VL-Z5
SONY DCR-HC30
DCR-TRV22K
GV-D1000
Victor GR-D33
GR-D72
GR-DX97
GR-DX77
GR-DX307
GR-D200
GR-700K
GR-300K
GR-DV5000
GR-DV900K

70 Posts

December 14th, 2011 22:00

I guess a firewire male to USB male connection would also work, but the product you mention looks and sounds like this one at Amazon:  www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top  If you read the reviews of this product and other products that look like it, everyone says it does not work.  Some people are calling it a scam product because after buying it for a few bucks, it's not worth it to return.  One person said that it will transfer images from a camcorder, but not video.  

Maybe I will just have to take a chance and check it out.  I guess the most I have to lose is 91 cents (the price at the time of this posting).  If there is any other suggestion, please feel free to post...  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 15th, 2011 02:00

The amazon product is Junk and does not work. The Pixela Product is a USB to firewire BRIDGE not a passive cable.  There is NO DIRECT Connection betweeen USB and firewire.  You will lose more than 91 cents because the scammers charge 91 cents for the product and $55 for shipping and handling.

70 Posts

December 15th, 2011 05:00

The Amazon link that I posted is free shipping so it really is 91 cents (plus 8 cents tax).  I wonder why so cheap?  

That Pixela product sounds like what I'm looking for.  But I wonder why it is no longer manufactured?  There seems to be a demand for this type of device, especially with newer computers coming out that don't have firewire ports (like the XPS 8300).  Do you know where I could get it or anything similar to it that is available?

EDIT:  The Amazon link I posted is not always 91 cents.  It's a 3rd party seller's page selling through Amazon and he/she probably changes the price periodically.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 15th, 2011 05:00

The 91 cent vendor plans to commit fraud.   Free Shipping but NOT FREE "Handling and Insurance".  In other words the

price is not really 91 cents.  Think about it.  It costs more than 91 cents to ship 1 pound  min to anywhere in the us.

The Pixela issue is either Lack of Demand OR a patent dispute.

You may be able to find one on Ebay otherwise its gone forever.

49 Posts

December 15th, 2011 06:00

:emotion-55:

70 Posts

December 15th, 2011 06:00

When I add the product to the Amazon cart, it says 0.00 for shipping and handling.  The cart total is .99 cents.  In my experience with Amazon they never charge more than what you see as the cart total.  It's possible that these sellers are shipping these by First Class mail envelopes which would only cost them .44 cents.  I was more on the lines of thinking that they know these don't work and they just want to get rid of them for real cheap, hoping that the customer won't think it's worth it to ask for a refund (and based on alot of the reviews, most of them don't) or they don't ship them at all and pocket the entire amount.

It's hard to believe that you can't find a single legitimate seller of these.  You would think that big name video companies like Pinnacle would have it.  They do have a device called Pinnacle Dazzle which imports video but not through firewire.  Also big name companies that sell cables like Belkin do not have anything like it either.  Surely there'd have to be some company selling such a device because of all the camcorders that have been sold in the past that use firewire.  It does kind of make me think twice & listen to the people who are skeptical that the technology of going from firewire to USB via a cable/adapter is even possible...  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 16th, 2011 07:00

It is possible.  I've used the Pixela Device and it does work.   It has to be some patent dispute.

Just Like polaroid sued Kodak over instant film.  Kodak's response was to stop making instant film.

Shortly thereafter polaroid went belly up.

Canopus PIXELA USB2.0 to DV Edit IEEE 1394 MPEG2 Video Capture - eBay

70 Posts

December 21st, 2011 14:00

I ended up getting a USB 2.0/Firewire combo card:  www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details   I would have gotten a USB 3.0/Firewire card if it exists but I don't think it does at this time.  Anyway, all the ports seem to be working fine.

By the way, I was able to fit this card into the slot next to the video card.  I originally thought the 2 cards would be too close, I started a thread about that topic here with pics:  en.community.dell.com/.../20016394.aspx  but hopefully it'll be ok.  

70 Posts

December 21st, 2011 15:00

For the record, I also did buy one of those Firewire to USB cables and I just tested it.  When I plugged the cable into a USB port, Windows did recognize that something was just plugged in but it was never able to recognize my particular device, nor could it find the drivers.  

No Events found!