Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 27th, 2003 19:00

Dell 8200 / ATI Radeon 9700 display problem

After almost a year of no problems I am starting to experience some sort of display problem where I see vertical lines around the cursor, the icons on my desktop and even in the folder display in Windows Explorer.  I would like to post a JPEG image of what my display looks like but I am not sure how to do this.This problem seems to occur only after my computer has been on for a couple of hours. I am thinking I may have a power supply or heat problem which is getting worse day by day. Anyone have an idea what the problem might be? 

System info:

November 2001 vintage 2.0GHz Dell 8200, 512MB ram, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with latest drivers, WIN XP Professional.

12 Posts

November 28th, 2003 05:00

Hmmmm..... to me it sounds like an over-heating issue. Do you see any artifacts while playing games? Are you over clocking your card? You could try updating or re-installing your display driver. Or it could possibly be somthing to do with your monitors refresh rate.... A screen shot would definatley help though.

3 Posts

November 28th, 2003 16:00

Hi xenomorph,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions I don't see the artifacts while playing games, I am not overclocking my card and I have installed the latest drivers for the 9700. I have posted a screen shot of my desktop at http://users.eastlink.ca/~kendo/. Please let me know if you are able to view the image and if you have any further thoughts about this problem.

Ken

12 Posts

November 29th, 2003 02:00

The link won't diplay the picture, hmmm... If you can get a screen shot up we'll try to go from there. Can't say that I've ran into this problem myself.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2003 20:00

I think I may be having the same problem as you are.  I took a screen shot of my desktop, and two other ones while playing Star Wars: Kotor (of which the problems are at its worse) Here they are:

http://www.studio7prod.net/~lim/displayproblems/desktop1.jpg

http://www.studio7prod.net/~lim/displayproblems/desktop2.jpg

http://www.studio7prod.net/~lim/displayproblems/desktop3.jpg

I am on a Dimension 8200 P4 2.53GHz 512mb DDR Ram, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb.  I have all the updated drivers, along with catalyst.  WinXP Home.

And yes, like me I had almost a year with no such problems, and then one day it just started messing up...  Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2003 23:00

erhm..

i got my new puter today. started it up. had som pixel problems on bright colours.. i thought it was the graphic drivers.. but.. then i got same as you screenshots.. well.. i left the puter on.. but turned the monitor off.. went to work and 9 hours later i turned the monitor on again.. now it flickered all over the screen.. as a christmas tree.. heh.. i rebooted.. couldnt see ANYTHING.. just flickering in different colours.. brown, white.. you name it.. tried to switch the monitor cables.. both with CRT/DVI.. also tried with another monitor.. no luck.. same flickering.. tested my dell 1901 FP monitor with the other puter.. works fine.. well im typing here.. aren't i :) hehe.. it gotta be some gfx issuses with the ATI card.. so if you solve it.. post it ASAP.. wanna test out my new pc..

gonna call support in 5 hours anyway..

got a dell 8300 / radeon 9800..

3 Posts

December 4th, 2003 07:00

I fixed the problem with the link to the JPG file which showed my screwed up display. The link is the same   http://users.eastlink.ca/~kendo but now it should work for everyone else. Let me know if it doesn't.

I haven't been able to resolve the problem yet but I intend to install a new power supply, CPU cooler, and graphics card cooler in the next week or two. I am doing this primarily to reduce the noise of my computer but it sure would be nice if the display problem goes away also.

1.4K Posts

December 4th, 2003 11:00

Hi CAkendo ,

If you have installed some new drivers lately, check that in the graphics settings the colours havent switched to 16 bit from 32 bit !

This happened to me and caused the same problem that you are describing....

worth a look anyway

Message Edited by shunney on 12-04-2003 01:40 PM

2 Posts

December 6th, 2003 00:00

woah.. im back..i called the support as i said..

i spoke with the support for about 3min.. told them all stuff i tried.. switching monitors.. gfx card.. etc.. got the answer that they will send a guy with a new ati card next day.. i woke up when somebody used my doorbell.. got my new card.. and gave him my "1-day old" one.. plugged in the new one.. and viola'.. running fine..

.. seems like im not the first person who calls with this problem.. hehe.. im glad stuff works now anyway.. well.. erhm.. when i boot my machine now.. i get "system voltage low.. press F1" or something.. dunno what it means.. maybe.. but its prolly easier to fix than a crashed gfx card :)

No Events found!