Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2012 06:00

BSD with stop number----stop: 0x0000008e

I am trying to help a family member (who lives about 500 miles away) with the BSD problem.

System: Dell XPS 400/Dimension 9150

Processor: Intel (R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

No new hardware or software installed on the system in over a year.

the system was working fine on Friday afternoon (We Skyped during the afternoon).

At one point in the evening the computer was rebooted and when it came back up that is when the BSD appeared, so he rebooted however the BSD came back, BSD error code: stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005,0x831b1487,0xa22ff754,0x00000000)

He was able to boot up in Safe Mode and run MSE, ran Malwarebytes (which found 2 and removed 2 trojans, i don't know what they were). still getting the BSD.

He also did a system restore back to the day before, still BSD. (there are two computers in that house they are exactly the same, they were purchased from Dell on the same day, system config is exactly the same)

yesterday morning, with my help over the phone, I had him remove the memory on BSD system and replaced it the memory from the other system and still received the BSD, put the memory from the system that is getting the BSD into the system that is working fine and the memory is working fine.

Had him go into MSCONFIG(in Safe Mode) and disable all of the programs at start up and rebooted the computer, still the BSD appeared, (reset MSCONFIG programs back to what it was, did not have to enable one at a time since it BSD on the first reboot).

Had him start the system with Last Know Good and still BSD.

Searched to see if there was a newer version of the video driver for the video card he has, Windows said he had the current version Took the video card from the working system and put it in the BSD system, still the BSD. Unistalled the Video Drive and had Win7 search for new hardware and it did not find the video card. :(  I went to Dell's support for drivers and downloads to see if i can get the video driver however since the system had windows XP installed on it when it was purchased in 2005, dell drivers and downloads do not show windows 7 drivers.  the video card is a Radeon X300/X500/x1050 and i did a search for a driver for it and can not find one.  

I had him restore the system back to a week ago Friday, when the restore was finished it got further in the boot process where his desktop came up however shortly after the desktop came up the BSD returned.

I am at a lost now as to what to do, any suggestions as to what we can try next? If there is any information that is needed to assist in this issue please ask away and i will get the answer as soon as i can and post it. Thanks so much!

18 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 11:00

I want to thank everyone who responded to my issue.  We have solved the problem and it was a ROOTKIT Virus.  I was so caught up with the STOP error code that I did not notice the last llne on the Blue Screen it said ATAPORT.sys with a bunch of numbers and datestamp so i looked it up and one of the first things that came up was this webpage:

joeyiodice.com/ataport-sys-bsod-virus-fix .  ROOTKIT malware family possibly from the Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.  Family member performed the process that is discribed and the system came back up without having a BSD and we even Skyped.  Again Thank you for your assistance with this issue.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 08:00

Hi luv2bike2nv,

I am sorry to hear that the system displays a blue screen error and appreciate your efforts to fix the issue. I’d suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, or Boot to Utility Partition, then press to begin the Diagnostics.
4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

18 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 09:00

Rajath,

I passed on your information to him and I will respond back as soon as he response back to me.   It might not be today.  It might be in the next day or so.  Thank you very much for getting back to me on this issue.  

Luv2bike2nv

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 16:00

Go to a bookstore and buy a Linux Pro magazine with Live Ubuntu or Knoppix etc.

F12 Boot from the Live DVD and see if the hardware is ok.  The most logical reason is that the Drives are dying soon to be dead.  Booting Linux live does not require having the hard drive installed.   Stop 8E however is usually associated with BAD RAM.  So if all the ram tests ok then it may be from mixed vendors rather than matched pairs.

There is no amount of running chkdsk or utilitys that fixes BAD RAM or BAD hard drive.

Dell™ XPS™ 400 Service Manual

About Your Computer

Before You Begin

Removing the Computer Cover

Technical Overview <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Specifications

Advanced Troubleshooting

System Setup

Removing and Installing Parts

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Replacing the Computer Cover

To help you troubleshoot a problem, your computer has four lights labeled "1," "2," "3," and "4" on the front panel (see "Front View of the Computer"). When the computer starts normally, the lights flash. After the computer starts, all four lights display solid green. If the computer malfunctions, the color and sequence of the lights identify the problem.

Light Pattern 

Problem Description

Suggested Resolution

The computer is in a normal "off" condition or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred.

The diagnostic lights are not lit after the system successfully boots to the operating system.

Plug the computer into a working electrical outlet. Also see "Power Lights."

A possible processor failure has occurred.

Reinstall the processor <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> and restart the computer.

Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

• If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module (see "Memory"), and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer (see "Memory").
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell.

A possible graphics card failure has occurred.

• If the computer has a graphics card, remove the card (see "Cards"),<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
    reinstall it, and then restart the computer.
  • If the problem still exists, install a graphics card that you know works and restart the computer.

A possible floppy drive or hard drive failure has occurred.

Reseat all power and data cables and restart the computer.

A possible USB failure has occurred.

Reinstall all USB devices, check cable connections, and then restart the computer.

No memory modules are detected.

• If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module (see "Memory"), and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer (see "Memory").

Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists.

• Ensure that no special memory module/memory connector placement requirements exist (see "Memory").
  • Verify that the memory modules that you are installing are compatible with your computer (see "Memory").

A possible expansion card failure has occurred.

1. Determine if a conflict exists by removing a card (not a graphics card) and restarting the computer (see "Cards").
  2. If the problem persists, reinstall the card that you removed, remove a different card, and then restart the computer.
  3. Repeat this process for each card. If the computer starts normally, troubleshoot the last card removed from the computer for resource conflicts (see "Cards").
  4. If the problem persists, contact Dell.

Another failure has occurred.

• Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive (see "System Board Components").
  • If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to make sure it is functioning properly.
  • The operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive); check system setup to make sure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.

The computer is in a normal operating condition after POST.

None.

Beep Codes

Your computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the monitor cannot display errors or problems. This series of beeps, called a beep code, identifies a problem. One possible beep code (code 1-3-1) consists of one beep, a burst of three beeps, and then one beep. This beep code tells you that the computer encountered a memory problem.

Reseating the memory modules may fix the beep code errors in the following table. If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Code

Cause

1-3-1 through 2-4-4

Memory not being properly identified or used

4-3-1

Memory failure above address 0FFFFh

If you hear one of the following beep codes, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Code

Cause

1-1-2

Microprocessor register failure

1-1-3

NVRAM

1-1-4

ROM BIOS checksum failure

1-2-1

Programmable interval timer

1-2-2

DMA initialization failure

1-2-3

DMA page register read/write failure

3-1-1

Slave DMA register failure

3-1-2

Master DMA register failure

3-1-3

Master interrupt mask register failure

3-1-4

Slave interrupt mask register failure

3-2-2

Interrupt vector loading failure

3-2-4

Keyboard Controller Test failure

3-3-1

NVRAM power loss

3-3-2

NVRAM configuration

3-3-4

Video Memory Test failure

3-4-1

Screen initialization failure

3-4-2

Screen retrace failure

3-4-3

Search for video ROM failure

4-2-1

No time tick

4-2-2

Shutdown failure

4-2-3

Gate A20 failure

4-2-4

Unexpected interrupt in protected mode

4-3-3

Timer-chip counter 2 failure

4-3-4

Time-of-day clock stopped

4-4-1

Serial or parallel port test failure

4-4-4

Cache test failure

Possible Cause

Corrective Action

8042 Gate-A20 error

The keyboard controller failed its test.

If you receive this message after you make changes in the system setup program, enter the system setup program and restore the original value(s).

Address Line Short!

An error in the address decoding circuitry in the memory has occurred.

Reseat the memory modules.

C: Drive Error

C: Drive Failure

The hard drive is not working or is not configured correctly.

Ensure that the drive is installed correctly in the computer and defined correctly in the system setup program.

Cache Memory Bad, Do Not Enable Cache

The cache memory is not operating.

See "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

CH-2 Timer Error

An error is occurring on the timer on the system board.

See "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

CMOS Battery State Low

CMOS Checksum Failure

CMOS System Options Not Set

CMOS Display Type Mismatch

CMOS Memory Size Mismatch

CMOS Time and Date Not Set

The system configuration information in the system setup program is incorrect or the battery charge may be low.

Enter the system setup program, verify the system configuration, and then restart the computer.

Diskette Boot Failure

Drive A or B is present but has failed the BIOS POST.

Ensure that the drive is installed correctly in the computer and defined correctly in the system setup program. Check the interface cable at both ends.

DMA Error

DMA 1 Error

DMA 2 Error

Error in the DMA controller on the system board.

The keyboard or system board may need to be replaced.

FDD Controller Failure

HDD Controller Failure

The BIOS cannot communicate with the floppy drive or hard drive controller.

Ensure that the floppy drive or the hard drive <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is installed correctly in the computer and defined correctly in the system setup program. Check the interface cable at both ends.

INTR1 Error

INTR2 Error

An interrupt channel on the system board failed to POST.

The keyboard or system board may need to be replaced.

Invalid Boot Diskette

The operating system cannot be located on drive A or drive C.

Enter the system setup program and confirm that drive A or drive C is properly identified.

Keyboard Error

The BIOS has detected a stuck key.

Ensure that nothing is resting on the keyboard; if a key appears to be stuck, carefully pry it up. If the problem persists, you may need to replace the keyboard.

KB/Interface Error

An error occurred with the keyboard connector.

Ensure that nothing is resting on the keyboard; if a key appears to be stuck, carefully pry it up. If the problem persists, you may need to replace the keyboard.

No ROM Basic

The operating system cannot be located on drive A or drive C.

Enter the system setup program and confirm that drive A or drive C is properly identified.

Back to Contents Page

18 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 18:00

Rajath,

Below is the only error code that he received.

Error Code 0F00:126C.  Msg: IDE device failed:  Blank media or no media is present in optical drive.  Test requires media with digital data (Resource CD, Installation CD.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 20:00

Is it possible to test it with a known good working power supply? Last year I was tasked with repairing a 5150 which was BSOD'ing and appeared to have a failing disk. In fact, the disk was fine and it was the power supply that was failing. 

As for the video card, I'd suggest replacing it with a new low-end model like the Sapphire 6450, as Windows 7 drivers are readily available. 

18 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 20:00

@rdunnill

We don't have a spare power supply to test it out.  :(

as for the video card, we took the video card from a system that is exactl;y like the one that is having a problem and put it in the system that is Blue Screening and it still Blue Screened.  

@Speed Step,

I will suggest him to get the Linux Pro mag and follow your instructions however I already know what he would say... No..he would rather get a new computer.

as for the memory, i had him take the memory out of the BSD system and put it in his computer and he had no problem, 2 gigs of memory showed up and he did  not get a BSD.  He put the memory from the good machine in the BSD and the system blue screened.  

there are no beeps coming from the BSD system, no light pattern on the front of the system (1,2,3,4),  and there are no error messages pop up for him to see.  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 11:00

You can run with Knoppix with no hard drive.

1 new from $14.99    these sellers.
Linux Shell Handbook 2nd Edition with Bonux Knoppix CD 2011 (Linux Pro Magazine Special)

Linux Shell Handbook 2nd Edition with Bonus Knoppix CD 2011 (Linux Pro Magazine Special)

You don't have to buy a magazine.  If you can burn a DVD -R disc at 1X or 2x  from the ISO Download he could F12 boot from that.
Klaus Knopper has announced the release of KNOPPIX 7.0.4, a Debian-based live distribution with LXDE as the default desktop and a separate edition for visually impaired computer users: " Version 7.0.4 of KNOPPIX is based on the usual picks from Debian 'stable' and newer desktop packages from Debian 'testing' and Debian 'unstable'. It uses Linux kernel 3.4.9 and X.Org 7.7 (core 1.12.3) for supporting current computer hardware. Optional 64-bit Linux kernel via boot option 'knoppix64'; bug-fix update for 7.0.3 - the APT database now contains all necessary data in order to directly install software via Synaptic; LibreOffice 3.5.4, Chromium 21.0.1180.75 and Iceweasel 10.0.6; LXDE (default) with PCManFM 1.0 file manager, KDE 4.7.4, GNOME 3.4." Read the rest of the release announcement for information about the Adriane edition, as well as a complete list of boot options. Download the English  variants from here: KNOPPIX_V7.0.4DVD-EN.iso (3,895MB, MD5)
Another more durable way would be to get an 8 gig (16 gig) or larger flash drive.
16 GIG micro relay drives from staples are $17 and dont stick out so they can be broken off.

Universal USB Installer is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use. Simply choose a Live Linux Distribution, the ISO file, your Flash Drive and, Click Install. Upon completion, you should have a ready to run bootable USB Flash Drive with your select operating system installed. Other features include; Persistence (if available) – note that casper persistence will only work with fat16 or fat32 formatted drives.

Download Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.1.7.exe

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 12:00

I want to thank everyone who responded to my issue.  We have solved the problem and it was a ROOTKIT Virus.  I was so caught up with the STOP error code that I did not notice the last llne on the Blue Screen it said ATAPORT.sys with a bunch of numbers and datestamp so i looked it up and one of the first things that came up was this webpage:

joeyiodice.com/ataport-sys-bsod-virus-fix .  ROOTKIT malware family possibly from the Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.  Family member performed the process that is discribed and the system came back up without having a BSD and we even Skyped.  Again Thank you for your assistance with this issue.

Well thats good to hear.  A knoppix boot drive would have ruled out the hardware being munged.

Live linux does not have to be installed and does not touch your hard drive if you dont want it to.

If you see a BSOD like the one above (ATAPORT.SYS error), you may be the victim of a rootkit virus.
Most likely it comes from the malware family: Rootkit.Win32.TDSS

Kaspersky Anti Virus makes a free tool to remove this infection from your system.

The tool is called TDSSKiller.exe and can be downloaded here.

The tool has a simple GUI and can run on pretty much any system that has

Windows Xp or newer operating system (64 bit or 32 bit).

You may have to boot into safe mode to run the tool.

(To boot into safe mode: consecutively press F8 during boot until you are given a list of choices,

one of them being to boot into safemode with networking.)

After running the tool and removing any infections, you must reboot your computer.

After that, run your antivirus to remove any remaining infections.

For more information on using the TDSSKiller.exe tool, visit Kaspersky’s support article:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684

No Events found!