Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2005 15:00

5 short beeps, 1 long beep, 1 short beeps, 1 long beep, 3 short beeps, then it won't boot up at all.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with windows XP Home
when I try and turn computer on I hear 5 short beeps then 1 long beep,
then 1 short beeps and 1 long beep,
then 3 short beeps and then it won't boot up at all, but the beeping
does stop.

The fan is runing on CPU...

The little green light on motherboard is lite up,
but it won't boot, any ideas as to what is wrong?

I replaced the motherboard battery (thinking that was problem) and the
computer stopped beeping for 1 and 1/2 days then yesterday morning it
started beeping again and now won't boot up again.

I replaced the battery this morning again, thinking I had bought a bad battery, but still have same problem, it won't boot up. Any ideas on what is wrong please?

I been to the beep code page but don't see anything there that describes my problem, as the beeps aren't all at once so I can't say it beeps X amount of times.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP PLEASE
Keith

thanks for replying Majestic :-)

A = Yellow
B = Yellow
C = Green
D = Green
problem = Memory failed to be sized or enabled.

solution = Reseat the memory modules.

did that this morning...still beeps

also tried removing 2 sticks and it wouldn't beep or do anything at all,
so put 2 sticks back in and removed other 2 sticks,
still won't do anything, so put all 4 back in now it just beeps.

edited to say:
"when  I removed 2 sticks of ram I added 2 filler sticks in the empty slots and tried to boot it."

Message Edited by NiceSeeingYou on 12-08-2005 12:16 PM

9.4K Posts

If you look at the beep codes as being four individual codes..... they all point to a problem with the memory modules.  Try reseating the modules to insure they are making good contact in their sockets.  Also check the rear of the system to see if there is a diagnostic light code being displayed.  You can click here < ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for the on-line version of your model's User Guide and the section pertaining to diagnostic codes.

9.4K Posts

December 8th, 2005 20:00

When you tried swapping around the modules could you have possibly got the pairs mixed up as they are suppose to be a matched set?  Also when trying a single pair were they installed in the RIMM 1 & RIMM 2 slots (near the processor) with the "filler" continuity modules in slot RIMM 3 & RIMM 4 ?

December 9th, 2005 02:00

you said>When you tried swapping around the modules could you have possibly got the pairs mixed up as they are suppose to be a matched set?<

no I didn't mix them up, but good suggestion :-)

you said> Also when trying a single pair were they installed in the RIMM 1 & RIMM 2 slots (near the processor) with the "filler" continuity modules in slot RIMM 3 & RIMM 4 ?<

yes

edited to say: I am open for other ideas as to what it could be, thanks

Keith

Message Edited by NiceSeeingYou on 12-08-2005 10:30 PM

9.4K Posts

December 9th, 2005 12:00

From all indications the problem points to the memory.  Unfortunately swapping around the modules didn't pin point a pair as going bad.  It would seem odd that two pairs of modules would go bad at the same time unless there are other problems.  You might want to post in the Dimension - General Hardware forum to see if anyone else has some additional suggestions.  Since the BIOS forum has a rather limited audience, the right people to respond may not be seeing your posting here.

The other oddity is that the initial replacement of the battery resolved the problem for a short while.  It may not help, but I would try doing a "hard" reset of the NVRAM by following the procedure I've listed below.  Just in case the information stored in the NVRAM is corrupted and the system is giving a erroneous error code as a result.  I would also go through the system inside and reseat all the cables and hardware.  It's possible there is something not fully seated and the system is giving a bad error code.  That when you were working inside the activity briefly caused the unknown item to have good electrical contact.  It's a long shot, but worth trying if you have the time.

With the machine unplugged from the wall remove the battery from the motherboard.  Then with the machine still unplugged press the On button for several seconds to dissipate any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard.  Then re-install the battery, plug the machine back into the wall and see if it will boot normally.

December 9th, 2005 14:00

ok thanks for racking your brain,

I will do this today and will report the results back to you here.

thanks

Keith 

December 13th, 2005 11:00

Here some results of some experiments I tried:

you said>From all indications the problem points to the memory.<
I agree, but the memory in this computer is outragious in price so I don't have any extra laying around, it is 256 MB RDRAM PC800, ECC Module for a Dell Dimension 8200 Series (400 MHz FSB) Units Req.: 2  but there are 4 in mine (4 - 64) they cost $157.50 each! :smileysurprised:

Is there any chance these sticks were recalled and I have 4 bad ones now? ~LOL~

I removed 2 sticks of ram farthest away from the processor and inserted 2 filler sticks in them slots, and the computer booted up just fine, (no beeping) it stayed that way for less than 24 hours, then I came home from Church and monitor was black and tower was off again. When I tried to turn it back on again it just beeps!

So I removed 2 sticks that were in there and replaced with the other 2 sticks I have and left the filler sticks where they were and tried to reboot the computer, but it only beeps.

So I switched the filler sticks with the ram (in other words I moved the filler sticks closest to the processor and the ram farther away and tried to power up again, but it just beeps.

So I removed the ram and installed the other 2 pair and again it just beeps, so I am back to square one! ;-(

Is there anyway I can use some other type of ram in this computer, to at least see if it will boot up and stay up? (I haven't tried that, as I don't want to make matters worse) but am beginning to feel there is no fix this problem.

Is there any way in your opinion that it could be a motherboard problem, like a short maybe?
Because sometimes it works and sometimes it don't....If yes, is there any way to test the motherboard to see if there is a short?

I did what you suggested by doing a NVRAM "hard" reset and nothing happened, still beeps when booting up.

Is there any way to test the ram to see if it's good or bad?

you said>I would also go through the system inside and reseat all the cables and hardware.  It's possible there is something not fully seated and the system is giving a bad error code.<

(Good Suggestion) I did this and it still beeps.

I am at a total loss as to how to fix this issue...any other ideas please?

Thanks for all your suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.
Sincerely, Keith (computer tech for a living)  

P.S. edited to say I just posted in the "General Dissusion Forum" as you suggested.

Message Edited by NiceSeeingYou on 12-13-2005 07:44 AM

9.4K Posts

December 13th, 2005 12:00

My best guess is either all the RAM went bad which I find it hard to believe unless there is a motherboard problem or the motherboard itself is bad.  Unfortunately the cost of RAM for your system prohibits buying more to try swapping with your existing modules.  Then again replacing the motherboard isn't a sure bet if it's the RAM that is bad.  Kind of a catch-22.  Hopefully someone in the other forum will have some additional suggestions as we could be overlooking something.  The only other thing I could suggest is call a local computer repair shop and see if they can test your motherboard and RAM.  It will probably cost something for them to analyze the system, but at least you will have an official cause of death and whether it or not it's worth fixing.  

December 14th, 2005 03:00

thanks for all your comments they were apreciated,
Keith aka NiceSeeingYou

9.4K Posts

December 14th, 2005 11:00

Glad to help and good luck in finding the problem.  If you are able to resolve it, please post back with the solution as I would be curious. 

In the event you find the motherboard is bad there is a retailer on-line that has Dell replacement parts.  Click here for that web site.   On the web page, click on the link for OEM Replacement parts.  They have motherboards for the 8100 model for $79 (US).  Just check your motherboard for a Dell part number (DP/N) and then look at the list of replacements.

December 15th, 2005 02:00

ok...thanks :smileywink:
No Events found!