Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2020 08:00

m15 R3, using MUX switch to integrated graphics?

Could someone help me troubleshoot using the MUX switch on the m15 r3? I have the 10750h, 2070 super, and 144Hz with G-sync.

I received my m15 yesterday, and hastily did a clean windows install on my 1TB NVME and wiping the included 256GB ssd. I tested a few things stock, but never tried the MUX. Currently, everything is working flawlessly, all but the integrated graphics, as well as userbenchmark can not test the 2070 super for some reason. All drivers were updated via windows update, then directly from the dell website. BIOS is updated to 1.3.0, nvidia was updated via geforce experience, then the newest directly off their site, and then I rolled back to 446.14 based on the advice from someone on reddit.

I attempted to reinstall the intel UHD driver, on screen display, and I've had no luck so far. The integrated shows up in bios, but does not show in device manager. Alienware update, supportassist, and dell site all show everything is updated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I will mostly be using it plugged in, but I would appreciate the extra battery life if I use it unplugged. I haven't stressed tested it much, but so far I am satisfied with the thermals. My only disappointment with the laptop is the mediocre speakers, I recall my 15 r3 speakers sounding better. Thanks!

33 Posts

October 28th, 2020 11:00

Well, it seems that some people come and ask for help, but when they figure out how to resolve their doubt, they don't want to share the knowledge... Terrible...

Anyway, for those asking about the MUX or Optimus option in the m15 R3, I can certify that the option is available and it works. So YES. There is Optimus in the m15 R3 with 144Hz Display.

I got my m15 R3 yesterday, with 144Hz G-Sync display. I just pressed Fn+F7 and a menu popped up at the right of the screen confirming to switch to Power Efficient Mode: Use integrated Intel GPU for regular apps like Web Browsing, Office works and media consumption, and the Nvidia GPU for 3D Processing demanding programs like Games. The system has to restart, once it does it, The Intel UHD controller appears in the Device Manager along with the Nvidia GPU (before it only showed the Nvidia).

I checked the Nvidia Control Panel. I went to the 3D Management menu and the GPU Control per program is in Auto by default, when checked the programs list all games were assigned to the Nvidia GPU, everything else like Chrome or MS Office programs were assigned to the Intel UHD. 

Then, I performed the Battery Test. I put the battery to charge to 100% and then let it run in battery power with  Battery Efficient mode activated and disabled the system suspension/hibernation. I was able to connect via WiFi (I used the 5GHz band), I browsed internet, sent a couple of emails, watched YouTube and Twitch, I left the system on doing nothing, let the screen go off while the system was still running with the RGB lights on and in Quite Thermal mode... Basically I tried  to emulate the conditions of a regular portable computer used on battery power, and it returned an average solid 6 hours of battery power before the power button started to blink and gets the low battery notification. Nothing bad at all!!

Of course, I tested the computer plugged in and played The Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Doom, all ran perfectly fine. I mean, it is pure power when it comes to gaming. 

I have to say the m15 R3 with 144Hz display is a great system for gaming and daily tasks use. 

I hope my comments helps you. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 16th, 2020 08:00

Try using the nividia control panel and switching from discrete to integrated on all tabs.

All the Alienware laptops now have the discrete GPU always connected to the display through the cable. It used to be the display connecting to the integrated graphics from the cpu but now it’s the GPU.

13 Posts

July 16th, 2020 09:00

Thanks for the reply. There is no setting to switch to integrated. I know what you mean, when I had my 15 R3 I used to switch from optimus to dedicated to run userbenchmark. It doesn't exist in my control panel right now.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

So have you run an ePSA to find out if the integrated graphics work?

13 Posts

I've only run a basic diagnostic. I will run it right now.

13 Posts

July 16th, 2020 10:00

So I ran the pre boot diagnostics. Everything appears fine. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

@Prom3ntory  Did it fix your issue?

Like @ejn63 said, just uninstall nividia and reinstall intel then Restart and Install nividia Drivers.

10 Elder

• 

24.9K Posts

Uninstall the nVidia driver, reboot, and reinstall the Intel driver.  Then reboot and reinstall the nVidia driver.

The Intel driver needs to be installed before you install the nVidia driver.

13 Posts

July 16th, 2020 11:00

I understand they do not use optimus. But there is a lot of discussion on reddit and forum notebookreview about there being a MUX switch, which I have no experience with. Several have said they own the R3, using the mux they can get around 5-6 hours on battery life. Did they change their manufacturing, or are these people incorrect?

13 Posts

Will try this now. Be back in 10 minutes or so. I did just receive this in my inbox as well...

"Hi! Thank you for reaching out to us. This functionality is not longer possible on newer Alienware models. 

G-Sync models have the IGFX disabled. 

Apologize for the inconvenience this might generate. 

Kind regards"

The reason I got this specific configuration was because I thought I could use the MUX or advanced optimus lol

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

Lol, I mentioned above that older models used optimus and the newer ones having the G-sync displays can’t use the integrated graphics anymore

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 16th, 2020 15:00

No, you cant. It’s physcally impossible. And why would they do that with a G Sync Display?

13 Posts

July 17th, 2020 17:00

I figured it out. My model does have a MUX switch, and can use integrated graphics

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 17th, 2020 19:00

Ok then. Hopefully the claim about enabling G sync on a intel GPU is somehow possible. Unless you have the OLED model then your allowed to switch it.

1 Message

August 12th, 2020 19:00

Can you share what you figured out?

Im in the same boat 

No Events found!