Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

January 22nd, 2018 06:00

Alienware Mobile Connect doesn't have screen mirroring function on 17 R4 and IOS?

Dear All,

I just installed the Alienware Mobile Connect app both on my laptop (a new 17 R4) and on my iPhone 7 plus (ios 11.2.2). However, I notice there is no screen mirroring function available. Is this normal? Please have a look at the picture below. No screen mirror button. Seems I can only do phone call and messaging using this app. I cannot access any other apps on my iPhone, such as maps, whatsapp, etc... Anyone knows what's going on here? Or it's just like this (due to ios or something )? 

Thanks a lot!

Alienware Mobile Connect with no screen mirror function

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 16:00

I have tried the calling and messaging. Working perfectly. You can leave your phone on the desk and pick up a call or reply a message on your PC. Those all pop up on your PC. You could even connect the PC’s keyboard to your phone so that you could type on PC for any apps on your phone.

The only issue I got was the screen mirror. Maybe you are right. It may not support iOS.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2018 16:00

G'day from Australia,

Really interested to hear about your experience with this new app from Dell and an iPhone. Do text messages pop up on your PC as a notification on Windows 10? Does it work well?

Pretty sure i read that screen mirroring is only available on Android.

Love to hear any feedback you have on this as I'm considering purchase a DELL XPS 2-in-1 just for this feature!

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 10:00

Hi @wuzhemin,

Unfortunately for the moment the Screen Mirroring feature will be only available for Android as @Tim3g said. 

We're passing all the feedback over to engineering so they can work on improving the app.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 11:00

I'm betting this is an Apple-imposed limitation.  However, it may improve.  For example, iOS 11 finally added Screen Recording, which not only allowed taking videos and storing them as video files, but also exporting the display's video feed to another application.  That allowed applications like TeamViewer to support having one user share their video feed to their TeamViewer app, which would then send it to another TeamViewer user on another device who could provide remote assistance, for example.  HOWEVER, Screen Recording does not allow remote CONTROL of the device, and given the purpose of this Mobile Connect application, I suspect Dell realized that simply mirroring the phone to the PC without any ability to control the phone from the PC would confuse and frustrate users.

10 Posts

January 29th, 2018 07:00

I have an alienware R4 from 2017.

Will mobile connect work on this model?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

January 29th, 2018 07:00

You can certainly try installing it to find out, but Dell's current language on the Mobile Connect page is that it's available for systems in certain lines SOLD in 2018 -- so if the R4 is still on sale now even if it was introduced in 2017, I guess technically it would qualify.  The page goes on to say they did this to ensure proper performance, but that they're looking at whether they can backport it to older models.  I suspect one of the concerns is older versions of Bluetooth offered on older models not offering enough range or bandwidth.

No Events found!