Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

13 Posts

May 11th, 2021 13:00

15 R4, thermal pad issues

Hello everyone, after more than 2 and an half years I decided to replace thermal paste to my Alienware 15 r4. Also , I decided to replace some thermal pads. To be more specific I changed those one above the cpu. Before my replacement, the pads were green colored (as you can see from this example picture: https://pasteboard.co/K1rMgqD.jpg)
and now I replaced them with an artic with a thickness of 1,5mm 6W conductive as you can see here:

https://pasteboard.co/K1rL1aW.jpg

P.s: If you need more specific tech info about them , I’ll add them whenever you want.

At the first attempt I made some mistakes and I added the new thermal pads on the older ones without removing them . Thus, the pc reached 90 degrees without doing nothing. Now, I completely removed the older ones(again, as you can see from the latest picture above where I applied them in a clear way) and I’m ready to try again and see what’s the temperature. Is it possible that the temperature was reached because of a my mistake or, instead, because thermal pads with a thickness of 1.5 are not good there? If so, what thermal pads should I apply there?

Thank you.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 12th, 2021 00:00

Hi @fxPlux  the basic requirement is to ensure a good thermal paste is used between CPU/GPU and their corresponding cooling system. There should only be a thin layer of CPU/GPU thermal paste and it is essential that the peripheral thermal pads do not stop CPU/GPU intimate contact with the cooling system. 

No two cooling systems are the same. The peripheral thermal pad thickness can be determined by various techniques. For example: Placing various shim thickness on peripheral components to ensure CPU/GPU has no gap with cooling system. Some thermal pads are easy to compress, and these are preferred. 

13 Posts

May 12th, 2021 01:00

And most important what should I do for cpu temperature and fans speed?

13 Posts

May 12th, 2021 01:00

Hi, I re-installed thermal paste and I changed those 2 thermal pads rows above the cpu as shown in the image. One of the images shows the pre-installed thermal pads which was of green color so I asked about thermal pads differences.

Anyway, you can see temperatures as in the video and consider that fan are run at maximum speed ( I change the speed in the video too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSoFyuNXP70

Temperatures seem to be in the mean (they also reaches high temperature for the CPU) but fans are running at maximum speed without doing anything as you can see from windows processes panel. Also, the support assistant seems to have problems and seem not to detect Alienware FX components anymore, what should I check for this last one?

13 Posts

May 12th, 2021 03:00

Hi thank you for your useful info, I used Arctic thermal paste and Arctic thermal pads which should be good enough by what I have read.  Also, I managed to reduce fan speed from Alienware command center so it's not a problem anymore. What now I want to focus on,  is the temperature, my pc is idle with the fan running at 40% and the cpu temperature is between 56-60 and GPU temperature between 48-52. Running fans at maximum speed makes the cpu going between 50-51 degrees and waiting for a little also between 45-47. (GPU about 40-43 waiting for a little also 39 stable degrees). I'll run a stress test to check out temperatures, considering cpu is an intel i7 8th gen and GPU: GeForce gtx 1070 are these temperatures low enough?

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 12th, 2021 03:00

Hi @fxPlux  the fans should work as designed, they should be replaced if they have a fault. Ensure fan blades, vents and laptop internal volume are clean and dust free. 

The 8th, 9th 10th Generation of Intel CPUs run hot at up to 100ºC, use a good thermal paste to reduce CPU & GPU power hungry gaming temperatures to less than 85ºC, which is good for all laptop components.  

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme Thermal Paste is probably the best thermal compound. Its thermal conductivity is 14.2 W/mK (very good). The operating temperature of this thermal paste is -250ºC / +350ºC, which makes it the best thermal paste for both Traditional Overclocking and Sub-Zero Overclocking. The thermal paste is greyish in colour and is electrically non-conductive and also non-capacitive. It is also a long-lasting thermal paste and has no curing time. It can be applied to both aluminium and copper heatsinks. 

Its competitor is the Thermalright TF8 Thermal Paste. Its thermal conductivity is 13.8 W/mK. The operating temperature of this thermal paste is -250ºC to +380ºC. The thermal paste can be used for CPU, GPU and for Overclocking, including Sub-zero Overclocking. It has no curing time and it delivers the performance right from the go. 

Avoid liquid metal based thermal pastes, they require repasting every six months and their mobility potentially short circuits (destroy) other components on the motherboard. 

13 Posts

May 12th, 2021 04:00

Ok I run a stress test playing a game and GPU temperatures seem to be very good but cpu ones seem to be very high give  me an opinion about: 

fxPlux_0-1620820255689.png

fxPlux_0-1620820197308.png

fxPlux_1-1620820234593.png

13 Posts

May 27th, 2021 10:00

After some attempts I'm not able to reach a minor degree than this:

https://webeddie.ch/hwilog/rn/hwlog.php?fil=log_defpokwe_1640154179.csv

Test run with Read Dead Redemption 2 with maximum graphic suggested by Nvidia GeForce app. So Medium/high graphics have been set.

What do you think?

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 27th, 2021 17:00

Hi @fxPlux  thank you for sharing update. For comparison, our 17 R5 AWCC Fusion Temp 48ºC, CPU 1% with local ambient temperature of 21ºC. CPU-Z CPU Multi Thread stress test, AWCC Fusion Temp 83C, CPU 100%. It's less than one year old, no CPU GPU repaste. 

AWCC Fusion Temp 48C, CPU 1%AWCC Fusion Temp 48C, CPU 1%

CPU-Z CPU Multi Thread stress test 83C, CPU 100%CPU-Z CPU Multi Thread stress test 83C, CPU 100%

No Events found!