Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2012 12:00

Command Center 2.7.25.0 Will not display Temp Readings

Hi, 

I only recently joined this forum because I am really at a loss as to what to do. I am sure it is something simple. I have had no trouble with my previous versions of CC until I installed version 2.7.25.0, I updated it directly from the CC program and let it do its thing and then restarted when it asked. After the installation no temperature readings are available and my FX continues to run for a bit and then crash telling me that there is either a hardware or software issue.

I have re-installed several times deleting CC completely using control panel and also deleting the .ath themes and such. No such luck with being able to do anything. If someone could please help with this as I just ordered a bunch of new fans and was planning to mod my case, but without fan control its just going to suck.

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 21st, 2012 13:00

The Asetek-designed main-processor (CPU) liquid-cooler, sensors, lights, and extra case fans are controlled by the MIO-Board, so trouble-shooting should start there. The MIO-Board is a separate "machine" or micro-controller. It runs it's own programs independently ... sort-of like a mother-board your might find inside a router or a printer. This explains why users seem to think it has a "mind-of-its-own" because, well ... it does. [:)]

Shut-down machine properly so it will turn off. Unplug from wall or UPS. Hold down power button for 20 seconds to dissipate any electricity in machine and MIO-Board. Wait another 20 secs before powering up. See if that very simple procedure resets MIO-Board.

Run Dell Diagnostic on the MIO-Board (outside of Windows). You can access it via F12 on boot or create a bootable version. If Dell Diagnostics doesn't detect a MIO-Board (Master I/O USB Device) at startup, the MIO-Board tests will not be available or listed. All the other tests that ARE listed, will likely test good. If this is happening, it must be corrected first. You really have to observe these MIO-Board tests, because the results are very important to the progression of steps to the final diagnosis or repair. If the MIO-Board detection or tests fail in Dell Diagnostics, there is really no chance it will operate in Windows with Command Center software.

Dell-diags_MIO-Board2.jpg

If the Dell Diagnostics MIO-Board tests pass, this tells us quite a bit:

1. The MIO-Board is getting power

2. The MIO-Board is connected to the motherboard's USB-1 port header (and communication is working).

3. The MIO-Board is operational and not locked up or in a loop.

4. The various devices (lights, fans, etc.) that the tests successfully exercised are connected properly.

Dell Diagnostic (specifically the MIO-Board tests). This will check it and also has been known to reset it in some fashion. If it is detected and tests good, but still won't work, try re-installing the software ...

Completely Uninstall Command Center and reboot.

Power down, unplug the power cord from the back of you PC, then press and hold the power button down for 10 seconds to drain residual power from MIO board to further reset it and to insure a trouble-free CC install. Then, power back up and go into Windows.

Disable your Anti-Virus software.

Install the latest Command Center (for desktops) and reboot. (ie v2.8.9.0 for Windows-7)

Note: The first time this version is installed, it will upgrade the MIO-Board's firmware to v2.x

Microsoft Net 4.0 Client Framework is required for install. You can get it from Windows Update.

Test operation.

Never use the Upgrade feature inside Command Center. Always, uninstall old, reboot, install new fresh.

Set Thermal Control to Manual and then a reasonable Curve (ends-up being the same as "Automatic").

v2.8.9.0 should look like this on Windows-7 (64bit). This is the version I still run on Win-7.

aw_cc_2890.jpg

It has recently come to my attention that Dell might not have re-written Dell Diagnostics (the "DOS/Linux" bootable one mentioned above that runs outside of Windows) to run on the Aurora-R4. It might only work on Aurora-R1, Aurora-R2, and Area51-R1 (not sure about Aurora-R3). This makes trouble-shooting MIO-Board problems on an Aurora-R4 much harder than on the older set of machines.

Due to Registry Entry Block (and/or other Dell software mechanisms) Aurora-R1, Aurora-R2, and Area51-R1 machines are prevented from installing a version of Command Center higher than v2.8.x. This is confirmed. I used to think that this effectively holds these older machines at Windows-7(64bit) since they cannot usually be successfully upgraded beyond it 2.8.x (and have a 100% working MIO-Board/Command-Center sub-system). However, now that I have successfully upgraded my Aurora-R1 to Win10-64bit, I see that it is not a problem because AWCC v2.8.11.0 works fine on Win10-64bit, if installed in Windows-8 Compatibility Mode.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19679918

Once, during my Win-10 Testing, I did get 100% fans issue. A clean install of AWCC v2.8.11.0 fixed it. That problem never reappeared. Seems that it has the power to over-write and repair some (usually off-limits) bootload-code on MIO-Board.

Updated: 5-9-2016

5 Posts

June 21st, 2012 15:00

Ok I tried all that you had said and I still cannot get any information. A couple of things I noticed while trying your suggestions was:

-I had an error message at the start of the Diagnostics tool saying I had to reconnect a device to the USB port

(Error code: 5D00:0009)

-I had the default Administrator account enabled to try installing from there to see if that worked and from that account CC worked perfectly, however when I logged into my regular account there was no information on CC and the same set of problems occurred.

Now I have tried to from my original account to open as administrator to no avail, also I checked my USB ports in device manager and they are all working.

I appreciate any help you can give on this matter

5 Posts

June 21st, 2012 16:00

I should clarify that even after getting the error code for the USB port if I left it and the diagonostics started up anyway.

Also all devices passed the Diagnostic tests

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 21st, 2012 17:00

I got the Diagnostics tool to detect the MIO-Board, I also tested the fans and the lights and everything worked fine.

Ok, good. You have a chance in getting it working now.

I was trying to create a different user account to see if maybe my user account was corrupted because CC had worked in the Default Administrator account, but now I have another problem with that keeps telling me that Windows log in failed to access the user account, thus I cannot even recreate the separate account to see if it will give me readings.

Right, it should work. Try it ... but we couldn't get it work. ... we had the clean install Windows.

And, this one ... also had to clean install. IIRC, this was brought on by using the "Upgrade" function inside CommandCenter ... just like you did.

5 Posts

Yup Aurora R1, Bios Version A11

I got the Diagnostics tool to detect the MIO-Board, I also tested the fans and the lights and everything worked fine.

I was trying to create a different user account to see if maybe my user account was corrupted because CC had worked in the Default Administrator account, but now I have another problem with that keeps telling me that Windows log in failed to access the user account, thus I cannot even recreate the separate account to see if it will give me readings.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

This is an Aurora, right?

You must get Dell Diags to detect MIO-Board (outside of Windows) before you can proceed. It must test good, and then you will also be able to test fans and lights in Dell Diags.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 01:00

, but now I have another problem with that keeps telling me that Windows log in failed to access the user account, thus I cannot even recreate the separate account to see if it will give me readings.

Careful there ... don't lock yourself out of your own machine.

Any User with Admin rights, should be able to edit other users.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2012 14:00

Sorry I have not post since our last discussion.

I have finally got it to work and all my new fans are installed and functioning with CC displaying temps/fan speeds, and controlling properly. Required a fresh install of windows in order to work.

My thoughts are that my profile had become corrupted somehow, oh well live and learn to never push the auto update on CC ever again!

Thanks Tesla1856 for all your help I don't think I would have even known where to start had you not stepped in.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 28th, 2012 19:00

You are welcome and thanks for reporting back.

Yes, it was a software problem (like the others I linked to above). Glad to see the clean Windows installed fixed yours also.

After all these years, Dell has still not posted a tool or procedure to "really" clean up the corrupt installs. I suspect it has something to do with the way the MIO-Board drivers install. It appears to be a PnP device, but the drivers are always silently installed and also hidden ... very strange little device. I've never seen another device that interacts with the motherboard and OS like this one does.

1 Message

November 30th, 2012 21:00

I have alienware m17x r2! when finish service at Dell center! i open commant center and i didn't see a keyboard or logo or something for light! just only can change the mouse!

ps: just the mouse! dont have keyboard or logo in commant center! Help :(

5 Posts

January 4th, 2013 22:00

I have a similar problem, sys. fan at full blast all the time( I assume sys fan, sounds like vacume cleaner, very loud.) How do I get the MIO board to be listed in diagnostics, currently it is not. My temps are good, just fan will not slow down at any time after computer starts, been this way since delivered. I have Aurora R4 water cooled, 3.6 ghz, nvidia 555 cards. Any help appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 5th, 2013 14:00

I have a similar problem, sys. fan at full blast all the time( I assume sys fan, sounds like vacume cleaner, very loud.) How do I get the MIO board to be listed in diagnostics, currently it is not. My temps are good, just fan will not slow down at any time after computer starts, been this way since delivered. I have Aurora R4 water cooled, 3.6 ghz, nvidia 555 cards. Any help appreciated.

You should probably repeat above message in your own thread.

Maybe more "Power Dissipation" procedures. You must get MIO-Board working in Dell Diags (outside of Windows) before it will even begin to work inside Windows-7.

January 14th, 2013 09:00

Is this a common problem?

It seems odd that a brand new computer like this would experience issues right out of the box?  

If it's not common then perhaps I am just at the precursor of larger problems with the machine and should send it back?

If it is common then....

Please advise if sending it back is the right way to go...

I'll try the steps outlined in your post but am a little swamped with work right now.

Is there any harm in running the computer to render some video while it is experiencing these issues - I'm in a catch 22 - I need it for work but because of work I don't have a great deal of free time to fiddle with this stuff.

Thanks again for the help.

No Events found!