Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 25th, 2016 16:00

Alienware Aurora-R1 - Windows-10 Pro Upgrade - Smooth sailing so far.

I usually do clean-installs on major OS upgrades. Until recently, I haven't done an in-place upgrade-install like this in many years (manly because it never really worked 100% in other versions).

I think Microsoft's Win-10 Upgrade Offer is causing a resurgence in this method. I have performed several now lately (on various machines), and it seems to work pretty good. I think this can be attributed to the fact that the OS is more of a separate layer now (and separately maintain-able). You can tell Microsoft put some effort into this feature. This way certainly saved a lot of time, and seems to be working fine ... long-term.

So, instead of battling through a traditional Clean-Install ... formatting, installing OS fresh, finding and installing latest drivers and driver-utility-suites, re-installing programs (sometimes requiring keys and updates), and re-integrating your data-stores ... you let Windows do the Upgrade and then you just test stuff.

This machine was purchased in 2010 and still works perfectly fine. While I wasn't looking forward to messing with the OS on my main system (I run my business and do my development work on it) I figured it was time since it was now two Windows version behind.

First step is a full-system Imaged Backup (with Verify on) to some kind of external storage. I used my old-trusted Acronis-2010, but Macrium Reflect (Free) should also work. Even a Microsoft Backup or straight-file copy of important files is better than nothing.

It was originally Dell-Alienware-OEM "Windows-7 Ultimate (64 bit)". After the 2.5 hour Upgrade (go do something else) ... Control-Panel now shows "Windows 10 Professional (64 bit). Windows is Activated. Ran Command Prompt> ver = Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] ... which is TH2 or Threshold-2. It carries the build number 10.0.10586 and version 1511, referencing its date of release, November 2015.

All my internal hardware is fine (as reported in Device Manager). For my AMD Radeon HD-5870, Microsoft provided a working DX-11 driver (v15.201.1151.1008 - 11/4/2015) and a working version of Catalyst Command Center.

The only driver I have installed manually is Alienware Command Center AWCC 2.8.11.0 in Win-8 Compatibility-Mode. I think AWCC 2.8.11.0 is a good match due to it's Win-8 Compatibility and updated MIO-Filter Driver. Like always with AW-CC, I clean-installed it (uninstalled old, reboot, install proper version, reboot). No other core-hardware drivers required my attention so far (Microsoft is taking care of all that ... either during initial upgrade or in recent Windows Updates).

I think AW-CC v2.8.11.0 is as high as I can go on this Aurora-R1 model. As always (with Alienware desktops with full MIO-Boards), I turn-off Windows-10 Fast Startup. I also don't just Reset Windows ... instead, I always Shut-Down completely and use the top Power Button to boot up again. In Thermal Controller, be sure Task-Tray app is set to "Windows Startup". Set Thermal Controller to Manual (User Control) and nice up-hill Curves on all Fans.

Regarding "Devices and Printers". The scanner part on my new Canon MF217w MFP ($100 ... what-a-deal) wasn't working so I just uninstalled the whole driver suite and clean-installed the newer Win-10 compatible drivers from Canon.com (quick and easy-peasy lite-driver-install ... Printer, Fax, and Scanner all working over WiFi network). All my other network devices, network printers, USB devices, etc. seem to work fine also.

The only exception is the Dell 365 Bluetooth Module (Broadcom-based but proprietary interface). No hope for it but I'm guessing it has something to do with it being connected to proprietary USB-Hub on MIO-Board. No problems since an after-market external USB Bluetooth dongle is only $15. Plus, you can get one that supports newer/better versions of Bluetooth, and it's "antenna" will end-up outside the metal-frame of the machine.

I was surprised to see all my Apple iOS devices (iPhone-5 and iPad-2), iTunes, and iCloud Sync stuff was still authorized to this computer and working without any intervention. This includes no problems with purchases or DRM content when various devices were connected or recently sync-ed. If you have ever formatted and clean-installed your Windows and then went to get all your Apple stuff working again, you will likely welcome this news.

Most of my programs (Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, some Adobe programs, etc.) and games (DRM via Steam, Origin, Uplay, and standalone-installs) are also working fine. I've tested most (but not all) of them by now. I'm expecting some games might need a compatibility switch or patch here-or-there. Don't think that Microsoft scans every installed program for 100% Windows-10 compatibility. This "build-up" is several years old now, so many programs and utilities are installed. I'll just keep using machine, running programs, and testing them as I go along. I guess its really just "business as usual" with Windows program compatibility in general.

I'm mostly still using IE-11 in Enhanced Protected Mode (and 64-bit Tab Processes) while I get used to using the new Edge browser more full-time. Google Chrome is also installed (as an alternative). You don't have to run any Metro/Modern/Universal Apps if you don't want to, but you might want to checkout the Outlook.com Apps Collection in your browser ... if you haven't already (to see what else Microsoft has been up to ... their answer to Google Apps).

I've been running Win-10 on this machine for about 2 weeks now and it seems fine to me. I'm still logging-in with a Local Account. If you are mainly a Windows desktop user (but new to Win-10), I suggest you Pin the old Control Panel to the TaskBar or just Right-Click the Start-Button (or press WinKey-X). You might still have to use the Immersive-Control-Panel (PC Settings) a little bit sometimes, but that's ok. Windows File Explorer is back to working and looking fairly normal (as compared to Win-8), so that's good. With a little customization time, you can probably setup the normal Start-Menu and Tiles to handle your main programs pretty good (try right-clicking a program shortcut icon and Pinning it to either the Start-Menu or Task-Bar).

If you miss your All-Programs Start-Menu in your own custom folders (what was Microsoft thinking ... getting rid of this), check-out Classic-Shell http://www.ClassicShell.net . I only use the StartMenu part (not the Explorer replacement). In general, when new to Win-10 take it slow and do your normal Windows things (but try to checkout the new stuff when you can). 

Also did a Clean-Install on a Dell laptop:

I also just did a Windows-10 clean-install on my Win-8 laptop ... to a blank (all partitions removed) SSD, and booted it up from newly created Win-10 TH2 USB-Flash-Drive (used Media Creation Tool). It took about 30 minutes (also with a SSD). This one is login-setup with an Online Account (my old MSN email account). So, clean-installs take less than half the time of an upgrade-install.  It appears to be the Migration of existing programs and driver-suites that take a lot of time. Interesting, that in Programs and Features on my Aurora-R1, it even changes the install date of some of the entries to the date of the Win10-Upgrade (when the Windows Upgrade Migration "re-installed" them).

More Upgrade & Update Troubleshooting Notes & Tips:

Alienware computers are just normal Windows computers and "Windows Update" like any other.

If Updates are Failing to Install, you can try the Microsoft Windows Update "Fix Tool".

support.microsoft.com/.../10164

Also, try with a real Ethernet wire instead of WiFi. Be sure you have plenty of room on C: drive.

If that doesn't work, you can try DISM command lines:

www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

You should never be getting a BlueScreen. That points to a different problem.

Dell Rockstar

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Mark as Accepted Answer" on any post that answers your question best.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2016 23:00

Soon after installing Windows-10 Pro 64bit on my Aurora, I noticed that my LaserJet Pro 400 Color (m451dn) was printing in what appeared to be 150dpi for most print-jobs. I thought it might be a setting on the bundled HP driver, and dismissed it. Then I noticed that even some things (those not using printer fonts as it turned out) printed from my other Win-7 machine … also now looked poor. As I started trouble-shooting, I got worried when printing the full-color picture Demo page from the printer’s front control-panel …  it also appeared to be in 150dpi (you could easily see the individual dots). Also, the printer’s built-in Print Quality Diagnostic page was also printing poorly. The problem was inside the printer itself ... it had nothing to do with computers or network.

I found no setting in the printer itself (by its Control Panel or Print-Server login menu) that controlled resolution, DPI, ImageRET3600, or draft mode … especially not for built-in functions.

The fixed turned out to be relatively simple.
- Print the Config Report (for current settings)
- From the printer’s front Panel menu, press OK (arrow to) Service / Restore Defaults
This apparently resets some hidden setting and fixes the printer’s output at a core level
- The built-in Diags Print and Demo Page now printed fine.
- In my case, I simply set the printer’s Fixed-IPv4 back as before. This has always been the only non-default setting ever made. This printer is connected to LAN by Ethernet cable.
- It should also be noted that this “Restore Defaults” does not reset any toner page-counts (it has 4 toner cartridges) or other similar stored counts.

I thought I would put this here because it was evidentially caused my Win10 install (just too much of a coincidence). This printer has been rock-solid and never a problem, since purchased new 4-2012. Also, (by design) Win-10’s basic Printer Test page no longer uses built-in Printer Fonts. Anyway, I thought maybe a Dell user with this color laser printer (or similar) or maybe a Google search user … might find this info helpful in the future.

757 Posts

April 20th, 2017 15:00

I just updated my R2 laptop and had some minor issues. I'll post on a separate thread.

I am thinking about updating my R1 W7 sp1 to Creators but I can't seem to figure out what significant benefits there would be. The W7 R1 runs great and would hate to introduce a bunch of challenges.

What benefits did you gain by updating the W7? Do the CC lights work and if I went back to W7 would that cause any MIO/MB issues? Didn't you install W8 on your R1 earlier and replace the 5870 with a 1080 before installing W10?

I have a complete clone of R1. If I went back to W7 the Clone route would it send MS any "whats-going-on" with our OS and block updates, etc..? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2017 18:00

AAA737flyer wrote:

I just updated my R2 laptop and had some minor issues. I'll post on a separate thread.

I am thinking about updating my R1 W7 sp1 to Creators but I can't seem to figure out what significant benefits there would be. The W7 R1 runs great and would hate to introduce a bunch of challenges.

1. What benefits did you gain by updating the W7?

2a. Do the CC lights work

2b. and if I went back to W7 would that cause any MIO/MB issues?

3. Didn't you install W8 on your R1 earlier and replace the 5870 with a 1080 before installing W10?

4. I have a complete clone of R1.

5. If I went back to W7 the Clone route would it send MS any "whats-going-on" with our OS and block updates, etc..? 

The general stuff. I guess the difference between your Aurora-R1 and your laptop. 

I can now get to the Store and run Metro Apps (oh boy  ). More secure. DirectX-12 gaming now possible.
To get latest OS on my main work machine (not being two Windows versions behind).

I already skipped Win-8 on this machine, but had Win-8 on some laptops, so felt like I was falling behind.

Seems new and current (not old). 

I did it before Summer-2016 free-upgrade cut-off. Needed to know if it would work or should start thinking of new machine. AMD-5870 was another hurdle or question but it worked (I got the impression of barely). It all worked fine on Aurora-R1 in the end.

All 8 of my Win-Tel machines are on Windows-10/64bit now.

2a. Yes . AW-CC is fully functional

2b. No, it shouldn't

2013-04  Samsung 830 256gb SSD

2016-07  Windows-7 64bit Pro -to- Windows-10 64bit Pro

2017-01  AMD-5780 upgraded to GTX-1070.
6 year-old AMD-5870 still worked fine for everything (even 95% of games) but not Fallout-4 beyond medium/low settings.

With GTX-1070, I now run Fallout-4 with Ultra-Max settings (and steady 60 FPS or better at 1200p) even in heavy action and complicated scenes

4. Good. You can always revert back

5. Once you go forward (and it activates) ... you can run either version on your machine legit. At least I did for a while. Actually, I cloned my Win-7 to a dual boot and did a test in-place/overlay Win-10 upgrade (with testing) before I did it for real. Only programs I found to be truly incompatible were QuickSFV-64 v2.36, Samsung Magician v3.2, and Acronis-2010.

Looking back at notes ... had a bit of trouble getting drivers for Alienware 19-in-1 Card Reader to load and work, but they finally did. According to my notes, I had to disconnect it, start Win-10 without it, shut-down and reconnect it, and then proper drivers loaded (from Windows Update). General USB-flash drive "Mass Storage" Drivers also went weird for a while during all that. I think it had something to do with it being an upgrade instead of a clean-install. I think I had to delete those "Portable Devices" from Device Manager and let them re-PnP. Eventually, it all cleared up.

Alienware Bluetooth module never recovered but that is covered above. Now, I think that's the highlights or anything truly important from my notes.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 28th, 2017 23:00

9-26-2016
Upgraded to Windows 10, version 1607 (Anniversary Update ). Took about an hour on its SSD C:
- Seems to be working fine.
- However, Notifications say that iCloud and ClassicShell were removed because they don't work with this version of Windows.

ClassicShell was updated to v4.3.0 .

iCloud for Windows was updated and tested as working.

===============================================

7-28-2017
Windows is finally prompting me to install Creators Update v1703 on this machine.

Snoozed at first and ran my monthly full-system Macrium Reflect backup Image a little early (just in case).

Currently installed:
Windows-10 Pro (64 bit) v1607
Classic-Shell v4.3.0. I checked and it's still the latest version. Exported current Classic-Shell config to XML.

Started Install/Update from Update & Security. At Privacy Screen, I'm feeling brave, so left them all on/defaults except I took Diagnostic Level Send down to Basic. At "Use Cortana Screen" clicked "not now". Signed-in with my usual (Local) account.
After Windows finished upgrading and desktop appeared, there is a prompt that Classic Shell "needs to reconfig for new OS". I let it and it said Successful.

Observations:
Everything seems to be working so far
Alienware Command Center v2.8.11.0, AlienFX, and Thermal Control are loaded and working.
Device Manager is clean and "Devices and Printers" looks normal

No alarming Notification messages.
Classic Shell seems to be working fine.
iCloud for Windows seems to be working.
Google Chrome is still my default browser and still has its usual 18 of 21 defaults.
As usual, Reliability Monitor Report gets reset. The one new entry will show all the migrated drivers.

No Events found!