Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2013 07:00

SSD Performance Optimization

Hi,

I purchased a Dell Alienware X51 in December 2012 which has a Samsung SSD PM830 drive.  This was the ONLY pc at the time that Dell sold with an SSD as the primary drive (within my budget).  The pc has been fantastic, but I want to ensure I maintain my SSD properly to prolong its life.  In my research to find the proper "optimization" tool for this specific SSD, I've ran across a few posts here in the forums about these SSDs not being supported by Samsung.  Well, sure enough, I installed Samsung SSD Magician, and it does not support this drive.  

I want to know if Dell is providing a tool for SSD Optimization for my drive.  If not, are there tools available for this drive from vendors other than Dell or Samsung?

Any help would be appreciated.

131 Posts

February 19th, 2013 06:00

Does anywhere state what SSD Magician does when it optimises? I have an 830 from Samsung and although I've run it I wasn't sure what it really does.

What I do know is that with Windows 8 Microsoft has added back SSDs to the defragment system, but instead will perform a drive "trim" not a defrag. It also means you now know for sure if Windows has recognised your drive as an SSD instead as was with Win7 some voodoo-command-line which I never really believed (I ran it once on a system that I swapped back the SSD for an HDD and the value returned was still for an SSD).

I'm wondering if this and making sure to have unused space at the end of the drive for "over-provisioning" is enough to do the same as Magician.

835 Posts

February 19th, 2013 10:00

Hi Bryan,

Check out this article:

How to improve your SSD on Alienware Systems? 

If you have any other questions, please send me a PM with your service tag and contact information and I'll be glad to help you.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2013 15:00

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for responding to my question.  I appreciate the article link, and I have checked almost everything listed in the article to ensure the drive is operating efficiently as possible.  

I guess I just don't feel like this is the answer I was looking for.  I feel like I'm missing out on something that the SSD Magician software may have to offer me.  Mayge the truth is, it doesn't do anything more than what I have access to do right now, I don't know.

I'm just curious as to why Samsung doesn't support their drive for Dell systems.  Makes me wonder why not...

131 Posts

April 5th, 2013 08:00

@Dell That Alienware SSD guide should be tagged more clearly with Windows 7 only - hardly any of that is relevant for Windows 8 especially as the "defrag" stuff (now called Drive Optimisation) as it changes to "Trim" for SSDs, the commands to tell if Trim is enabled (as Win 8 knows) and disabling pagefile (as again Win 8 handles all this properly) and I'm pretty sure that's still inadvisable.

For a clean Windows 8 system an SSD will be set up and used correctly without any need for user intervention, except that I think it's advisable to allocate a spare area for "over-provisioning" - I don't think that gets done by Windows 8 and is easy to do by simply shrinking the last volume on the drive using "Disk Manager".

1 Rookie

• 

41 Posts

With the system I purchased the 512 ssd is put out by ocz and  is warranteed for 3 years....even if the Dell has only one year. ocz said they would take care of things if there were any problems.  Glad it is not Samsung

1 Rookie

• 

41 Posts

Just purchased a Dell xps 15 with 512 ssd     I found this article to b interesting about maximizing the ssd www.auslogics.com/.../ssd-vs-hard-drive     however, I also read  that defragmenting is not a good idea. I too am looking around to see what software best optimizes the ssd, registry, etc

It probably is because it is an OEM drive even though it is Samsung branded.

No Events found!