Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 13th, 2016 16:00

Problems adding SSDs to x51 r3 because motherboard has a male molex power supply...

I'm replacing the 3.5 inch HDD with 2 x 2.5 inch SSD with the help of a 3.5 inch mounting tray which can host 2 SSDs.

The problem I'm having now is that the motherboard actually has a Male Molex port and I can't find any Female Molex to 2 Sata Female cables... This is not surprising because Male usually means power input ..

The power cable comes with x51 for the internal HDD is indeed a Female Molex to Female SATA... but I can't find anything similar on Amazon..

Does anyone know why x51 is using a Male Molex here as power output? and how do I use it to power two SSDs...what cables can I use?

Picture of the HDD power connector:

All I can find is Male Molex to 2x SATA, obviously they can't used to plug into the Male Molex in x51

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002GRUV4/ref=s9_hps_bw_g147_i3

July 15th, 2016 14:00

I had a similar issue once, but I could fix it by using more than one cable. You'd need a male to female Molex and then the one from Molex to SATA.

July 17th, 2016 02:00

Yeah, male connectors are typically used for power input, not for power output.   X51 R1 had female connectors for the molex power - don't know why they changed it.

I'm assuming you can use any Y molex cable from Amazon such as this:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_4

Stick one of the female ends of the cable into the male mobo molex, and you have a male and female connector available on the other side of the cable. Then what ever was plugged into the mobo male before gets plugged into the free male connector of cable and you have a female power connector available - plug your molex male to sata cable into this.  Wouldn't this work ?

2 Posts

July 18th, 2016 04:00

Thanks  @Alienware-L_Porras , yeah..a male to female Molex means I'll need to connect the onboard Male Molex connector with a female to female Molex which is next to impossible to find

Thanks @Incompressible ..I'll get one of these male to 2 x female splitters and try using two females connectors

July 18th, 2016 13:00

That's the one I was trying to refer to but I couldn't explain myself haha. @Incomprenssible, thanks for jumping in!

No Events found!