Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2013 13:00

Black screen after nvidia driver update

Hi! 

So after buying my X51 (I7 3770 with GTX 660 and 8gb RAM) a few weeks ago I decided to update the video drivers, so off to nvidia I go and it asks me if I would like to use the experience program, which I do. 

I start the process off, and half way through the screen goes black, but I leave it for about 10 minutes thinking "If I leave it then any installation process going on will finish" so I waited and turned it off. Go to turn it back on and still the screen is black. Now I can't do anything with it now because I can't get into safe mode and do anything without a display and I can't use to onboard HDMI because that is disabled. 

Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem? 

I'm not afraid of opening the case if I need to. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 12th, 2013 12:00

Allow me to expand on yesterday's try. I see now you have an onboard video "card". HDMI output. You said you can not use it, because it is disabled. Let us make a safe bet it is "disabled" because your gtx670 is installed > the mthrbrd senses the 670 is in the pci-express slot, it "disables" hdmi output accordingly.

My advice? Remove your 670, plug in your hdmi to your monitor/tv, try to run off the onboard hdmi video, and give it another try. Power up w/out the 670 but with hdmi, & you should now be blessed with your initial bios startup screen, then hopefully windows.

If Windows "reboots" after the logo screen, then tap F1 (or F2, or delete etc) to get into your bios setup screen. Why? Well, you said your onboard coin cell battery was removed. If you removed it, your bios settings will all revert to default settings. In your bios, be sure that your sata option is set to ahci mode. This will ensure Windows boots from your sata drive using the advanced host controller interface. (This is just a simple check, in case your bios settings default ahci mode "off", and not "on"). Then retry, Windows should behave normally.

If you get video output from your onboard hdmi integrated video card, and Windows boots as expected or you've accessed your bios to check for ahci mode "on", and then it booted as expected, I would say - then power off - unplug pc, reinstall your 670, and now try to power it up and see if you get your video back from the 670. I doubt that a driver update and a frozen computer during the update "burnt" up your 670 (but stranger things happen). I suspect if you remove the 670 and reseat it, it should work again ... you should test out your onboard hdmi port to ensure your system as a whole still works. If it does, and you get video from the hdmi port, and you then reinsert your 670, but get no video?

A) good idea to let someone here know that before you buy a new card. 610/620 etc

B) It might be a simple bios setting, like making sure "670 as primary video source" is enabled (pci-express enabled etc)

C) Here are links to other troubleshooting methods ...

D) I'm in a rush to get out of here, so, this is a hurried up post of mine! Good luck!

HDMI port does not work properly on the Alienware X51

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=&s=dhs&docid=524936

Alienware Systems: General Video Troubleshooting

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=429832

Alienware X51 R2: Troubleshooting Articles (Common Solutions)

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=612773&dgc=SM&cid=266889&lid=4880776

Alienware X51 - Troubleshooting Articles

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=524933&dgc=SM&cid=266889&lid=4880514

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 10th, 2013 16:00

Your x51 has a black screen @ startup, yet, you've gotten online to post in the forum - so you do have a different pc? You might need it ... 

Ok. Just to give you a nudge - check out the Alienware x51 disassembly video here for reference if need be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRjTe_bGQVQ

With your side panel off, check with a voltmeter to see that your onboard cmos battery has between 2.5v - 3v. If it's less then that, now's the time to replace it.

If it's 2.5-3v, it should be ok, so if you prefer, try to disconnect your onboard cmos battery for a minute - to clear the bios settings. Plug it back in, power the pc on to see if your video-display comes back on - but remember - once you disconnect the cmos battery, all your bios settings + the clock will revert to default settings, which you will have to manually dial your bios settings back in later ...

If you do not get video after disconnecting the cmos battery? Try this or don't, but I usually will then re-disconnect the cmos battery, then remove my memory cards for a minute, then reinsert them, then reconnect the cmos battery - then try to power up again.

Still no video?

Hmph. Remove and reseat your video card. Try to power up, check for video.

Still no video?

At that point, you can either remove your video card from your x51 and try it in your other pc - the one you got online with - if they are both pci-express motherboards of course, to check that your video card still works in a different pc. Or, you can install some different video card in your x51 - long enough to see if you have video output. If you have video output at startup, call up the bios screen, change the date if you want to, and power down. Then reinstall your original video card. See if it now puts out video (it should if the video card is ok).

The point is, if you can check that video card in a different pc to make sure it still works, and, try a different video card in your x51 to make sure the rest of the system still works.

Now then, you can swap out video cards first, or try the cmos battery disconnection first ... fielders choice ...

You'll want to try your video card in another computer to make sure it works, and you'll want to install a different videocard in your x51 to make sure your system still works ... until then, hopefully someone else can come along with better advice then I've posted here ...

If you prefer, you can 1st consult your owner's manual, or your adobe pdf owner-user manual(s) for a complete step-by-step process to clear your cmos (battery) settings, which may include moving the cmos settings jumper/connector for an x amount of time ...

December 12th, 2013 09:00

I can't get into safe mode and do anything without a display and I can't use to onboard HDMI because that is disabled. 

Did you try it?

December 12th, 2013 10:00

Yes you can take it out and clear the CMOS for it to start recognizing the port again.

4 Posts

Hi thank you for such a detailed answer, I'm waiting on my work to let up at the end of this week then I am going to give some of this a go to see if this works. 

As for the second computer, I'm using my laptop at the moment, so switching them out isn't an option.

I don't have a second video card, although a 610 or 620 isn't that expensive to pick up, so I could always give that a go. 

Will let you know how it goes when I get the chance. 

4 Posts

I have tried it but to no avail. 

I was wondering whether removing the video card and trying it then might work if you have any idea? 

4 Posts

December 15th, 2013 09:00

Not going to lie, I could quite happily kiss you right now. 

After about an hour of messing around with the insides I finally got it working using a mixture of everything that you said, as well as a few initiative driven choices. Thank you kindly

No Events found!