Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2014 12:00

Alienware x51 r2 sound enquiry

Hi all, i just got my first desktop Alienware  x51 r2 today and i plug in my new creative t6300 5.1 speakers, sound on youtube and video sound muffled/ far away...especially the voice of people talking.

Can anyone tell/teach me how to solve it? Do i need to change any settings?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 19th, 2014 13:00

See if it's the speakers or computer. Put Creative speakers aside.

Connect analog headphone or ear-buds to light-green jack in the back of x51-R2

Config and test speakers at Control Panel / Sound / Playback / Speakers (SoundCard Port Name) / Configure

What kind of monitor and is it HDMI? 

4 Posts

January 19th, 2014 23:00

Hi Tesla1856,

Thank you for the Prompt reply

Followed your instructions, unplug all cables from speakers, plugged  in my a-JAYS One+  , the sound is good as i can hear the voice of people talking even when the volume is low.( tested on a variety show in youtube)

Using the same video on youtube to test on the 5.1 speakers, the voice of people is muffled/far away even when the volume is half and the sound effect sound is louder than the voice.

Did the confiq and test speakers--Sounds coming from the center and rear speakers is louder than the front speakers, is this correct?

I'm using Dell S2340L 23' led monitor and yes it does have HDMI but i connect using the dvi from x51 to the monitor. (is using HDMI better?)

As this is my first desktop, really do not know what to do and if the sound should be this way or not, Mp3 sound is good but variety shows from youtube and the ones i downloaded, Voice of people is muffled and sounds far away.

Had attached the cable and jack that i plug in, is this correct?

4 Posts

January 20th, 2014 12:00

One more thing to add, when playing my old game the sound is really good. So i guess the voice of people when in youtube and videos of variety show i downloaded is muffled. Is there any setting i need to do?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 20th, 2014 13:00

Sounds like analog stereo is working. Sounds like x51 is working. All available channels (including Center Channel where dialog usually is) get mixed down to 2 channels so it makes sense you can hear it good that way.

No HDMI is not better ... DVI is HDMI without sound which is good in this case ... no interference with sound channels (HDTV, etc.).

No, in the Windows Config and Test ... all speakers should sound about the same level. Do you see software volume controls for the various channels (not common)?

You matched the colors (and that should be right) but try switching the Orange (Surround Speaker pair) and Black (Center & Sub) plugs on back of computer. Over the years, I have seen rare configs where colors don't end up matching.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2014 23:00

Hi Tesla1856, i did the switching of the orange and the black plug that is plug into the back of computer and the voice of the people talking in youtube and the videos i downloaded had improve greatly but sounds mostly came out from the center and rear left speakers, the front left & right did have sounds but softer.

And  when i did the "Config and test speakers at Control Panel / Sound / Playback / Speakers (SoundCard Port Name) / Configure" test, i found out that the "rear left and right" sound is coming from the center speaker and the sound when i click to test the center came out from the rear left speaker, no sound came out from the rear right speaker when i click on all the option for testing.

Does this mean that there is something wrong with my speaker?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 21st, 2014 12:00

Hmm, well it sounds like the plug color SHOULD match. Put them back so that Windows Sound test plays channels samples from proper speakers. All tones should be about the same except for sub-woofer (which will sound pretty different). If still not working to your satisfaction, it might be time to give Creative a call.

Some Newegg reviews did mention something about sound being "muffled". I wonder if that describes your problem?

No Events found!