Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2015 03:00

Alienware x51 R2 does not boot up. Only dull white light on power button.

Hi,

Last night, I was using my Alienware x51 R2 when it suddenly shut down on me. When I restarted it, all I could see was a dull white light illuminate on the power button. I did go through some of the posts that talk about similar problems and the typical steps outlined as pre-checks before contacting support.

I tried them with no luck. Typically, when I start the system, I remember the fans spinning at full speed (audible) and a beep with the Alienware logo on the screen. Now, except for the light, I could not hear any audible fan sound nor the beep or see the logo on screen. I removed the side panel and started the system again. What I did notice was the fan starts spinning and then stops within a couple of seconds. It doesnt build up enough speed to be audible.

How do I go about? Any clue as to what the problem might be?

Thanks!

5 Posts

August 27th, 2015 06:00

I also have this problem. My machine suddenly powered down and when I tried to turn it back on the power button is a dim grey, the fan tries to spin up but stops after a second and only my low power usbs output power. There are no beeps to indicate start up. I tried a total discharge several times and even tried another power brick as I thought that there might be a problem with the PSU. I got a local technician to look at it but he was surprisingly stumped and I asked Alienware support but they couldn't really help me since my warranty already ran out.

There didn't seem to be any particular event that caused this. The last piece of hardware or software that I've install was a graphics card update a few days ago.

5 Posts

August 27th, 2015 08:00

My system is out of warranty too. All similar posts end with a Dell support technicians requesting the OP to PM back with the Service Tag and then the threads end abruptly. No clue whether the issue was resolved or if the OP gave up...

5 Posts

August 27th, 2015 08:00

Yes, judging from other forum posts it would seem that most people have fixed the problem by discharging their machine and turning it back on, getting a new power supply (both things that I have tried) or by contacting an Alienware representative at which point the post abruptly ends.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 27th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

I assume you have already tried doing a power drain (disconnect power cord, hold power button for 30 seconds), try clearing the CMOS jumper as well. Click here to view a post from Chris that explains how to do this. Also, how are you connecting your monitor (with HDMI, DVI, adapter, etc.)?

5 Posts

Well, going to try and disconnect the GPU and HDD over the weekend and see if the system fires up.

5 Posts

I have tried doing a power drain several times. I'm connecting to a monitor through HDMI, although I have tried to power up my machine with only the power cord connected, no peripherals, and still no luck.

5 Posts

August 27th, 2015 10:00

Hi Rodrigo,

Yep, tried the power drain with no success. I will give the CMOS jumper cleaning a try.

I am connecting to my monitor through HDMI.

5 Posts

August 27th, 2015 10:00

Ok, disconnected the discrete GPU and the system is running OK with my montior hooked through HDMI to the on-board graphics.

Could this be a problem with the GPU or the PSU? What should I try next.

On a side note - I did not try the CMOS jumper cleaning...

5 Posts

August 27th, 2015 15:00

I tried clearing the CMOS jumper, it did not help. Could it be a power board issue?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 28th, 2015 12:00

Hi, 

Thanks for confirming that. The problem could be related to the power board or the motherboard. It might be best to send it in to have it checked by the repair facility. If your system is in warranty, send me a PM with your service tag for further assistance. 

5 Posts

August 28th, 2015 12:00

My system is not in warranty.

1 Message

May 27th, 2016 06:00

Was this resolved?  It seems to be a common fault/design issue

With my X51R2 it started happening about 22 months after purchase.  I can still boot the PC up, as long as I disconnect the HDMI cable ... once it has started booting, I reconnect the HDMI cable and all seems well.

I see a few other people with this issue;

1 Message

June 17th, 2016 11:00

I had the same issue. the machine (x51 r2) suddenly stopped working. Would not fire up, just turned the dim white light on.

following the advice in this and some of the similar posts.. 

I took the sparkly nvidia graphics card out. 

plugged the hdmi into the motherboard output.

machine fired straight up!! 

guess it looks like my issue and reason why the machine just sat there doing nothing (no fan nothing) with a white light was becuase the graphics card was / is broken.. :(

No Events found!