Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2016 15:00

Alienware Bios RAID/SATA options with m2 ssd drives

So I've purchased an Alienware 15 r2 in January and added a Samsung 950pro m2 ssd. Performance is excellent especially since boot time is roughly 4-6 seconds. The issue I have is installing or even using any Linux distro. For some strange reason I can't seem to view the drive at all. Only windows detects it. After some investigation I found an option in BIOS for the hard disk configuration. My two options are RAID and SATA with the default RAID already selected. When switching to SATA I am able to view the hard drive from any linux distro (live usb), however I am not able to load Windows 10 from the hard disk anymore unless switching the configuration back to RAID. There are a few questions I have about this issue. Is RAID required for Windows 10 to run? Setting the configuration to SATA and doing a factory install will everything work as normal? Are there any performance gains with this configuration set (keep in mind that I am not technically running a raid one drive has the OS and the other is used for storage).

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2016 15:00

Hello!  So I actually read today that the RAID drivers might be more stable/better with some SSDs then the AHCI drivers under windows 10.  If that's totally true or not, who knows.  That aside, I have read quite a bit on the Forums that the UEFI bios that windows 10 runs in prevents some if not all linux distro's from being seen or utilized correctly as linux is still working with BIOS and not UEFI.  

If your computer is running fine under Windows, you might want to post your questions on the Linux Forum here and see what other Linux users have to say for a workaround.  

No Events found!