Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2015 17:00

Alienware 15 DisplayPort Problem

I just got around to connecting my AW 15 to my monitor and found the DisplayPort is not working correctly.  When connected via DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort, the laptop screen drops to 1024x768 resolution and nothing appears on the monitor (ASUS VG248QE).  The display control panel reports that the monitor is connected.  Once I disconnect the cable, the laptop display returns to 1920x1080.

Oddly, if I use a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, both displays work fine.  I even tried the DP to mini-DP on my Mac and it works fine on the same monitor.

Any ideas?  I did try reinstalling the Intel drivers.

118 Posts

May 21st, 2015 08:00

IT WORKS!!!

I tried one last thing.  I was trying to force install the latest drivers from the Intel site which requires that you uninstall the Dell version.  After uninstalling, I rebooted and Windows automatically installed the latest itself.  So, I plugged in and it is working.  I am able to use 144Hz, as well.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

327 Posts

May 17th, 2015 00:00

Really ???? you have a problem each hour XD hahahahahaha R// (windows+P) = duplicate image

118 Posts

May 18th, 2015 09:00

Not sure what that comment is about, but still looking for any help.  Thanks.

• 

2.7K Posts

May 18th, 2015 13:00

Spaceengineer,

I would recommend you to uninstall the video card driver and download the latest version you find in the Dell support site or the NVidia website and install it.

Please let me know you it goes. 

118 Posts

May 18th, 2015 21:00

Milena,

I did as you suggested and the monitor still won't work when connected via Displayport.

118 Posts

May 20th, 2015 10:00

I currently have it working by using a mini-displayport to dvi adapter.  I have tried two different displayport cables from two different manufacturers and when connected they both cause the same errors.  Both cables work fine with my mac.

I have one more to try, ordered an xfx active adapter.  It comes today and if it still won't work then I will need to initiate a service call.

• 

2.7K Posts

May 20th, 2015 15:00

Yes please let me know how it goes with the new adapter.

As well have you notice if you are able to change the resolution manually and what happen if you select extend the monitor instead of duplicate? 

118 Posts

May 20th, 2015 16:00

The new adapter did not work.

I have tried extended, duplicate, even setting the external as the only monitor.  Nothing takes.  The external monitor shows "No signal".  The option to change the resolution is grayed out for the external monitor.

The only option that works to connect to the monitor is HDMI or to use a mini-DP to HDMI or mini-DP to DVI.  Frankly, these options will work for me, but I am concerned that this indicates something is wrong with the computer.

Please advise on what I should do next.

727 Posts

May 20th, 2015 20:00

One thing I did not see suggested was reinstalling the Intel Graphics Driver. However, when uninstalling the iGPU driver, you should uninstall the Nvidia driver too. Just to prevent problems. This would mean that you would have to reinstall the Nvidia driver, but it shouldn't matter which one.

You can either get Dell's latest iGPU driver or Intel's latest iGPU driver. I have found Intel's own drivers more stable than Dell's.

118 Posts

May 20th, 2015 20:00

Thank you for the suggestion, however I already tried that.  Notably, the latest Intel drivers cannot be installed on this system.  Lately, Intel has begun checking hardware and will not allow the installation of OEM drivers on certain laptops.  The installer refuses when you try.

As for the NVidia drivers, I always use the latest from their site.  Just in case, though, I tried several versions both OEM and Dell.  Since this computer has Optimus technology I am thinking that the problem lies in the Intel hardware or software.

At this point, I am pretty sure something is amiss either with the computer or the monitor.  Since I don't have another monitor with DisplayPort to test, I am stuck.

727 Posts

May 20th, 2015 21:00

I do hope it is the monitor itself (because going without an external monitor is much better than going without a laptop).

I think the refresh rate is limited to 60 on HDMI, but I thought the HD 4600 could do 120 Hz (can't do 144 Hz) through display port or DVI. But I'll double check.

118 Posts

There may be a way to force the install and I will look into it later.  I have two monitors, but neither has mini DP.  You are probably correct that this is a driver issue since the port works when connected to the monitor using a miniDP to DVI adapter.  Of note, though, is that the maximum refresh it will let me set is 60Hz.  I should be able to set it much higher.

I found a post the other day on a different forum where someone had trouble getting their ASUS connected via miniDP to DP on the same monitor I have, an ASUS VG248QE.  But, they never reported if they found a solution.

727 Posts

You sure about the Intel drivers not installing? Maybe it's because I have a different CPU, but the Intel's own GPU drivers installed just fine on my laptop.

It would be odd if this were a hardware problem with the laptop (and that would require getting a replacement, sadly). If I may ask, do you have a monitor with a miniDP on it?

118 Posts

May 20th, 2015 23:00

You are correct regarding the refresh rates.  That is why I think something is amiss.  Plan to do some more testing tomorrow and I will let folks know what I find.

January 8th, 2016 05:00

Hi

I am also having problems connecting my AW17 to an Acer XB270 H 1080P 144HZ external monitor via mini dp to dp. It has worked at 144hz at one point but after downgrading to windows 10 from 8.1 I was limited to 60hz maximum. After scouring forums looking for a solution I tried lots of things without success and reverted back to 8.1 but the problem still persists.

I tried re-installation of win 8.1 os + drivers with discs supplied with pc

Acer xb270h 8.1 64 bit driver from their website (wasn't digitally signed so I installed with digital signature off)

Two dp leads to see if it was a faulty cable

Endless versions of NVidia drivers (clean install) inc the most recent one in compatability mode

intel driver update tool.

I am running out of options  any help would be appreciated.

Also how do you force install your intel driver? im pretty new to pc and still learning.

Thanks Andy. pc spec AW17 I7-4710MQ, GTX880M 8GB, 16GB RAM, Intel 4600 switchable graphics,

No Events found!