Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 16th, 2018 15:00

Aurora R7, factory reinstalling Windows 10

Need help factory reinstalling Windows 10 on new R7
Hi I just purchased a R7 service tag . I added a Samsung EVO 850 and did a clone disk. The new SSD runs great, but now I can't boot to the factory HDD. Even if the SSD is disconnected. I have tried to reinstall Windows via a USB backup, but it won't allow the install. I can see the HDD partitions when running Windows from my SSD, and it looks like the recovery partition is there and intact. What am I doing wrong? I've tried the support page for installing Windows 10 on an Optane system, and it fails. Should I format the factory drive and then try to boot the recovery from the USB drive? Service Tag:   thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2018 19:00

I have an Aurora-R6 here, and I see the Dell Recovery Partition. It's un-clear how to use it. But the real question is ... WHY would I ever use it :Smile:

It's some old version of Windows with old drivers. Maybe it's got the bad Nvidia drivers that were severely crashing my machine when it was new? No thanks. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Hard-Lockup-and-crash-while-gaming-SOLVED/td-p/5504111

Actually, I'm thinking of deleting it or maybe just shrinking it (to allow for ample Over-Provisioning of my nice 512gb NVMe SSD). 

When I got the machine, there was an icon on the desktop to create a Recovery Flash-Drive. Maybe it was used then. Will I ever use this flash-drive ... not likely ... like, why would I?

Or, maybe when you do a full (in place) Windows Reset, maybe it's used then. But who does that? I think not many. If you are going to do that, you would instead clean-install the latest version of Windows-10 64-bit from microsoft.com.

So here's the deal. Everyone thinks they want that "Original Factory Shipped State". But the fact is there is nothing special about it. In fact, sometimes its worse (there, I said it). :Surprise:

Instead, you can:
- Clean-Install the latest (perfect and untouched) Windows-10 from microsoft.com
- I bet your Device Manager is already clean since Windows-10 is doing most drivers now
- Maybe grab a driver from Nvidia.com or AMD.com
- Install the proper Alienware Command Center (Alienware computers only)
- And you are about done.
- Now Windows-10 is running LEAN ... without buggy Intel-RST, heavy Killer-Network Drivers, SupportAssist, all other Dell pre-installed non-sense.

Create a Macrium Image ... that can be your "Recovery Disk" if you want one.

As far as your cloning problem ...
You cloned it and it worked. Now you want to undo it? Really? :Indifferent:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 26th, 2018 07:00

You need to use the recovery tool and a 16 gig USB Flash Drive.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln299044/

What you will need

• Service Tag of the Dell PC on which you want to install Microsoft Windows or Linux
  • Download and install Dell OS Recovery Tool (runs in Microsoft Windows only)
  • Blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of free space
  • Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5.2 or higher
  • Administrator user rights and at least 8GB of available storage space to download the Dell ISO recovery image

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 18th, 2018 19:00

I think this goes here ...

Recovery Drive creation 

- Even on Dell/Alienwares ... there is only one "Recovery Drive Creator" (the Windows-10 one). Be sure "backup system files" is checked on first screen.

- Even though it says you need a 16gb flash-drive, I had to use a 32gb one so everything would fit (and complete creation). Might be due to heavy OEM (Dell/Alienware) customizations.

- As a test, this flash drive booted and restored the machine fine. Even to an Intel (2 x SSD) RAID-0 array (instead of original spinning-HDD). It was just the Recovery drive against "bare metal" (blank drives).

- SecureBoot was off during install. Pretty sure I just started it from F12-on-Boot.

Looks very much like a Dell/Alienware factory load.
- - Included Dell apps and Alienware Command Center
- - Restored all original partitions nicely (IIRC, with only shrunk C: partition a bit ... as wanted and expected).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 20th, 2021 20:00

A user PMed me recently about how to erase a Dell system and load a copy of Windows-10 directly from Microsoft.

Those directions are here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6073081/highlight/true#M3401

No Events found!