Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 25th, 2018 08:00

Aurora R7, liquid cooling unit

I am seriously considering purchasing an Aurora R7 but need to know which Asetek cooler Alienware is using. This is an important question since Alienware is only using a 120mm fan/radiator combo to cool the 8700K. 

The standard Asetec 550LC uses a standard 25/30mm radiator whereas the 570LC uses a double thick 50/60mm radiator and would be significantly more effective

February 3rd, 2019 08:00

Please tell me where I can buy this radiator (Alienware R7)

798 Posts

February 5th, 2019 10:00

@dell-Zaki wrote:

Please tell me where I can buy this radiator (Alienware R7)

Both Corsair H60 (2018 model) and H75 (2018) have been confirmed to work on the R7.  

Both 2018 units have cpu pump power to SATA and rotating barbs at the cpu pump which makes the installation easier to route the hoses.  CPU temps with these coolers are great and stay in the 60C's under load.

Note the wiring scheme for these units on the last page of that thread 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R6-installing-a-Corsair-H60/m-p/6211580/highlight/true#M6561

AIO liquid cooling wiring should be

Upper radiator fan (or Y cable if using two fans) into TOP FAN header

Nothing connected to CPU FAN Header (will not get start up error with this open)

Pump Power (or tach cable if pump powered by SATA) to PUMP header

Pic of R7 H60 (2018) install here

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-fitting-Corsair-H60-water-cooler/m-p/6231483/highlight/true#M7334

The H8O V2 with 38mm radiator also has been installed in a R6, but the hoses exit the pump straight up and makes the installation a little more difficult and worrisome as the PSU closes right on top of the unit.  Pump power needs a fan header that runs 100%.  Has USB input for the Corsair Link which is optional as fan speed can be controlled by the AWCC,

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-Corsair-Hydro-Series-H80i-V2-compatible/m-p/6202657/highlight/true#M6216

February 5th, 2019 10:00

Can we speak in WhatsApp, ?please I need help My number

402 Posts

February 5th, 2019 12:00

@HanoverB wrote:

It is possible to AIO liquid cool the GTX 1080.    One with the Sea Hawk and another aftermarket install using the NZXT Kraken G12

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/td-p/6137280

The problem I encountered was the coupling of the radiator through the front part of the chassis to get ideal temps.  The upside of the Alienware front bezel is that there appears to be room in front of the chassis for a 25mm wide fan (not verified) and the airflow through the bezel is much better due to the slats that are present.

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  With regards to the front chassis fan, I suppose one could stuff a 120mm radiator up front but how it'd be mounted, not sure.  The current front fan plastic housing/shroud would have to come out, with the AIO taking its place.  I'll have to take some measurements one weekend...

798 Posts

@amstel78 wrote:

The stock cooler definitely could use improvements.  I'm seeing ~90-97c on a 5 Ghz OC running prime95.  I did have to replace the factory Nidec fan though due to shot bearings with a Corsair ML120 Pro.  It'll probably be 1-2 degrees less with the amount of air the Nidec can push.  Also used MX4 when pasting the CPU.  

Running OC2 and Prime95, temps are usually below 78c, and OC1 hovering around 71c.  Idle can range from 33-37c depending on any running background processes.  

The upper fan cage certainly has the depth to accommodate a thicker radiator, especially if you're using a 25mm unit rather than the 37mm Nidec.  That might be my next move.  It's too bad the case is so small inside; would have liked to water cool the GTX 1080 with another 120mm closed loop but no place to put the radiator.

It is possible to AIO liquid cool the GTX 1080.    One with the Sea Hawk and another aftermarket install using the NZXT Kraken G12

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/td-p/6137280

The problem I encountered was the coupling of the radiator through the front part of the chassis to get ideal temps.  The upside of the Alienware front bezel is that there appears to be room in front of the chassis for a 25mm wide fan (not verified) and the airflow through the bezel is much better due to the slats that are present.

798 Posts

@amstel78 wrote:

The stock cooler definitely could use improvements.  I'm seeing ~90-97c on a 5 Ghz OC running prime95.  I did have to replace the factory Nidec fan though due to shot bearings with a Corsair ML120 Pro.  It'll probably be 1-2 degrees less with the amount of air the Nidec can push.  Also used MX4 when pasting the CPU.  

Running OC2 and Prime95, temps are usually below 78c, and OC1 hovering around 71c.  Idle can range from 33-37c depending on any running background processes.  

The upper fan cage certainly has the depth to accommodate a thicker radiator, especially if you're using a 25mm unit rather than the 37mm Nidec.  That might be my next move.  It's too bad the case is so small inside; would have liked to water cool the GTX 1080 with another 120mm closed loop but no place to put the radiator.

Here is a link to a H75 install with both fans in push pull configuration

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-Corsair-H75-SupportAssist/td-p/6159861

Can you add another ML120 fan in your configuration to get another 3-5C drop?

402 Posts

798 Posts

@amstel78 wrote:

@HanoverB wrote:

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  With regards to the front chassis fan, I suppose one could stuff a 120mm radiator up front but how it'd be mounted, not sure.  The current front fan plastic housing/shroud would have to come out, with the AIO taking its place.  I'll have to take some measurements one weekend...

Only way I could see the radiator fitting was inside the chassis (depends on length of the GPU) and the radiator fan on the outside of the chassis in a push configuration.

The XPS 8930 and the Alienware R7 share the same chassis.  The Alienware exterior case is different to support CPU liquid cooling and the front bezel is more airflow friendly which benefits GPU cooling.

402 Posts

@HanoverB wrote:

Here is a link to a H75 install with both fans in push pull configuration

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-Corsair-H75-SupportAssist/td-p/6159861

Can you add another ML120 fan in your configuration to get another 3-5C drop?

I could with the use of a Y-splitter for the motherboard header.  Right now though, the radiator is bolted to the fan cage directly.  I'm not sure how I'd be able to secure the rad with a front fan in push/pull config to the cage.  I guess one could use slightly larger screws and tap directly into the fan's mounting holes... will have to check.

But, at the end of the day, I don't think a push/pull would make much difference especially if the radiator and coolant inside are reaching thermal capacity.  I'm thinking a thicker radiator with more internal fin surface area, and larger coolant volume would be better than running two fans simultaneously.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

February 5th, 2019 15:00

402 Posts

February 6th, 2019 16:00

Thanks for those pictures.  Looks like a clean install.  Would have liked to have seen what was done with the chassis grill and how it was mounted.

798 Posts

February 6th, 2019 17:00

I did have a link to that same picture on the thread for the MSI Sea Hawk install in the XPS 8930 chassis.  He mentioned using a slim 15mm fan in his install and I suspect he did have to put it in front of the chassis as I did as he had to do some modifications to the front grill panel to properly fit the fan.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/m-p/6138021/highlight/true#M16394

798 Posts

February 6th, 2019 17:00

I know a 15mm thickness fan fits easily but needs to be verified if a 25mm fan could fit under that front bezel once you shave back that plastic tab.

Front panel.jpg

From the installs that I have heard about the problem still exists with the coupling of the 15mm front fan to the radiator with the front chassis grill being sandwiched between the two.  I never got the temps that I wanted until I cut away some of the grill work.   Perhaps with the 25mm fan, if it will fit, that might not be an issue.

IMG_6112.jpg

Then there was the problem with the front airflow through the XPS 8930 bezel.....I had to cut a blowhole in the front bezel ...  but works great now.....it's all in that thread.  Fortunately the Alienware front bezel has nice airflow through those slats.  

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 09:00

Hey!

I am thinking of doing this. jsut to be clear before i purchacse.

this is an Aurora Case, you replaced the front fan with the sea Hawk X radiatior. Did it fit fine what am I looking at for mounting. Any step by step would be great and thank you

798 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 15:00

@JBrake001 wrote:

Hey!

I am thinking of doing this. jsut to be clear before i purchacse.

this is an Aurora Case, you replaced the front fan with the sea Hawk X radiatior. Did it fit fine what am I looking at for mounting. Any step by step would be great and thank you

There is information on this at the link posted above in other posts

Towards the bottom of the first post there is info on how to do the install.   The bottom half of the chassis is pretty much the same in the XPS 8930 and the R7.   That thread is rather long and if you follow the progress in the first 3-4 pages of the thread I had to cut some metal out of the front grill to couple the radiator for better airflow that drastically lowered temps to where I wanted them.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/m-p/6184411/highlight/true#M18588

The GTX 1080 in that install is 10.5" long.  It's a tight fit and the GPU can't be much longer than that Founders card length. The radiator height on the Sea Hawk is 151mm high and was able to fit under that flat piece of metal at that location.   I will measure the height of that piece of metal when I get a chance.   

MSI changed the design on the their new Sea Hawk, when I looked at it they changed the tubing to a flex corrugated type of design and I didn't like it.  Their new radiator is 154mm high  

The NZXT Kraken AIO add on cooler is based on the Corsair H55 at 152mm high and there is a post on that thread about that upgrade.

EVGA doesn't currently list the height of their hybrid radiator.

No Events found!