Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 1st, 2018 23:00

Aurora R7 CPU fan extremely noisy

Hi!

We have just bought 2 Alienware Aurora R7 for our company, and they are EXTREMELY noisy.

Even at not very high RPM, the CPU fan is super noisy. I have seen it inside, and I see that the design is very very poor unfortunately (I didn't expect it from Alienware). The PSU is in a metal box that is almost touching the CPU fan, not leaving it any room for the air flow, and making it sooo noisy.

Maybe this R7 is better designed to work with liquid cooling, but having a fan closed in that layout doesn't seem the best way to go...

What can we do about it? Any help from Dell? It's impossible to work in the office when both computers are running (even with one of them, at low RPM's, its a nightmare).

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 7th, 2018 14:00

Hi @Jalviz,

Please isolate the noise. This could come from the PSU or the PSU fan. Please check so we can be sure.

Also, keep in mind that there are some 3rd party apps to control the fans. 

2 Posts

February 8th, 2018 04:00

Thank you Eimy, 

Unfortunately it's too late. We sent back this computers... There were no way of working in the office with the computers there. 

Yes, we could bring down the speed of the fans, but it doesn't fix the problem of a poor design, as the fan on the CPU has no room at all to ventilate, with the PSU case over it. 

Thank you anyway.

No Events found!