Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Posts

July 1st, 2018 19:00

Aurora-R6, Storage Expansion

Hello 

I own an Aurora R6 and i would like to expand storage since a 2.5in drive is not an option because they cost around twice as a 3.5 one for same storage capacity

I just read on this forum from a post that is dating from 2016 that my motherboard will not accept any drive bigger than 4tb is this still true in 2018? Any bios update to upgrade this limitation ?? Is it a hardware limitation of is windows 10 home version limitation? I mean if i switch to win10pro will i be able to put a 8tb inside??? Also i wanted to know if this would be a working way to add a second 3.5hdd to my aurora r6?

Please check the link below i would like to know if u guys think that could work on my R6?? 

https://www.amazon.ca/IOCrest-SY-ACC25050-Syba-Green-Drive/dp/B01LZQGZ95/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1530498561&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=3.5+hdd+rack

FYI my R6 has the 850w powersupply with a single GTX1070

Thanks for your information

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 1st, 2018 20:00

I don't know why anyone would buy that, and I do not think you need it.

You install a 3.5inch spinning-HDD in the provided 3.5inch bay.

You install 2.5inch drives (usually fast SATA SSDs) in the bottom bays.

Do you at least have your Windows booting from a SSD?

The thing about 4tb-8tb spinning HDDs is ... when they crash, that's a lot of data to lose all at once, so keep it backed up.

5 Posts

July 1st, 2018 21:00

Of course my windows is installed on the m.2 ssd that i got with the computer ...it has already a 3.5in 2tb from dell that comes with the 256gb+2tb storage combo ..i need more space...i dont mind about loosing some data if ever the hdd failed that was not my question here... i would prefer if its possible to keep my 2tb drive from dell and replacing it will not be a proper solution... so...with all the additional info that i just gave you did u think it will work if i buy one of these and a 8tb 3.5 hdd??thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 1st, 2018 23:00

@aKen514 wrote:

Of course my windows is installed on the m.2 ssd that i got with the computer ...it has already a 3.5in 2tb from dell that comes with the 256gb+2tb storage combo ..i need more space...i dont mind about loosing some data if ever the hdd failed that was not my question here... i would prefer if its possible to keep my 2tb drive from dell and replacing it will not be a proper solution... so...with all the additional info that i just gave you did u think it will work if i buy one of these and a 8tb 3.5 hdd??thanks

I did not know they all came with a bootable SSD, just trying to help steer you in the right direction.

Can't say ... I've never used that weird mount, nor have I ever been that hard-up to install a spinning-HDD inside a desktop (to sacrifice a PCIe slot on it). Maybe someone else knows.

Spinners are so slow, they are not slowed-down any by a good USB-v3.0 External HDD Enclosure. I use those (the ones with UASP are nice) or I use my Synology 16tb RAID-5 NAS (4tb x4).

5 Posts

July 2nd, 2018 00:00

Thanks for your reply anyway...im gonna try it. If it dosent fit ill just let the drive free on top of those 2.5in bay in the bottom of the case. For the storage size as far as i know i never saw a motherboard that had limitation in max size of drive did u think its possible that the system wouldnt reconize a drive if its bigger than 4tb??? In case this is true...will creating 2 partitions of 4tb in that 8tb drive would make it or the drive itself wont be reconize at all in the bios?? If its true this is really a non sense that a gaming computer worth 2000$ bucks cant while a 299$ ps4 can !!! 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 2nd, 2018 09:00

@aKen514 wrote:

I'm gonna try it. If it dosen't fit ill just let the drive free on top of those 2.5in bay in the bottom of the case. 

An old rubber mouse pad and some long nylon cable tie-straps might help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 2nd, 2018 12:00

@aKen514 wrote:

.what about the storage size?? Did u think its true that im limited to 4tb? If yes did u think partitionning the 8tb into 2x 4tb partition will work?

I've never tried it.

I use 4tb and 6tb drives, but not INSIDE my desktop computers.

The other advantage to using (recent-model) external USB-HDD is that the controller takes care of the translation. For example, I have a WD-6tb-USB-v3.0 drive here. No problem to have one large 6tb NTFS partition.

5 Posts

July 2nd, 2018 12:00

That was exactly what i planned to do if that pci bracket dosent work...what about the storage size?? Did u think its true that im limited to 4tb? If yes did u think partitionning the 8tb into 2x 4tb partition will work??looks like nobody at dell can answer this

5 Posts

August 11th, 2018 13:00

I have never been able to get a clear answer for this...nor from this topic or any idian dell tech support guy...so ended up buying a 4tb instead...fantastic support from dell unbelievable 

August 11th, 2018 13:00

What ended up happening with the 8TB Drive?

I have a MASSIVE gaming library (~9tb) and would love to put it all on one internal 12tb 3.5" drive. I would ideally purchase the Aurora R7 with just the 2tb internal m.2 NVMe and then pop in my own internal drive. I would prefer a single 12TB partition, but 3x4TB partitions would be fine.

I agree that I have *never* seen a PC arbitrarily limit the size of a HD so it makes no sense... if it was an old machine with old BIOS then the 2TB limit might kick in, but that's clearly not the case.

I, like you, have not been able to get the answer to this... It will be a driving factor between getting the Aurora R7 or a FalconNW Talon.

Thanks!

Jerry

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2018 15:00

@Jerry Blade wrote:

1. but 3x4TB partitions would be fine.

2. I agree that I have *never* seen a PC arbitrarily limit the size of a HD so it makes no sense...

3. if it was an old machine with old BIOS then the 2TB limit might kick in, 

1. Aurora-R6/R7 really only hold one 3.5-inch spinning drive.

2. Agreed. But apparently, strange things happen when you just "assume" new un-tested hardware will work perfectly. It's likely a simple fix, but the Alienware Engineers might have to get involved (BIOS patch, etc.). I say might (not sure, never tried it).

I think there is another post here somewhere about this 12tb Seagate.

EDIT - Yeah, here it is:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Upgrading-my-Aurora-R7-HDD/m-p/6133658#M4954

3. Agreed.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2018 05:00

hi, I've been using an 8TB western digital red in the 3.5in bay in an R6 for many months now without issue...

1 Message

November 24th, 2019 23:00

Just installed a 4TB WD Black with no issues.  Of course this was after I found out there isn't a second 3.5" bay.  Thought I would be adding an extra drive.  Ughhh....

No Events found!