Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2020 11:00

Aurora R5, PSU 6 pin to 8 pin connector work on RTX 2080 TI?

Hello everyone, here's the thing. 

I got Aurora r5 with 850w PSU, and i want to upgrade my GTX 1070 to RTX 2080 Ti (dual 8 pin). But the problem is I can only find 6 pin connector at the PSU. So, after some research on Google, seems like in order to make 100% sure that a 6 pin to 8 pin converter is working perfectly, the only variable is how many 12v rail does your 6 pin connection has. Then I've found these definition.

pinout-pcie.png.324dcb7cd940ba4413b5350aec152d23.png

6pin_8pin.png

Sounds like if I have triple 12v rail then it means after convert to 8 pin, the power output would be perfect equal.

At last I've checked my PSU, and ...

123.jpg

Triple yellow rail. ~

The question is ... since it's a quiet expensive card, I want to make double sure for that.

Am I correct about that? Will Aurora R5's PSU 6 pin to 8 pin connector works on 2080 TI?

Thanks for any response and please forgive me if I made some grammar mistake.

7 Technologist

• 

10.9K Posts

March 29th, 2020 15:00

If you look at EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 requirement:

• 650 Watt or greater power supply.
  • Two available 8-pin or 6+2pin PCIe power dongles

If you look at nvidia 2080Ti founder edition power spec, recommended system power 650W and 8 pin+ 8 pin.

according to Cass-Ole, Alienware markets the (Aurora) R5 to be able to run dual-300watt cards, or 600watts.

you only have one 250-260W card and you have a 850W psu Dell OEM.  why worry.

If you really want a reputable psu, consider 850W psu by Corsair, EVGA.

7 Technologist

• 

10.9K Posts

March 27th, 2020 15:00

The trusted source on this topic is Cass-Ole‌.

Picture below for Aurora R5 that Cass-Ole‌ posted before.

21179_s-l1600.jpg

You could use 2x 6 pin to 1x 8 pin adapter (available off the shelf) to make two 8 pin connectors (out of available 4x 6 pin) for max power rating.  (6 pin or 6+2 pin rated 75W max, 8 pin rated 150W)

by report 2080ti draws very little power from PCIe slot (according to Cass-Ole‌).  so it is dependent mostly on the 8+8 power connectors.

The three yellow 12V wire in the connectors do not mean three 12V rails.  Try not to dwell too much on the number of rails which is a mystery unless you open up the PSU to look inside.

afaik there is no risk of damage to your gpu.  if you use two 6+2 pin, the card may get under powered in demanding video application situation.

March 28th, 2020 05:00

Oh, btw, looks like your picture is unable to load.

March 28th, 2020 05:00

Thanks for your reply, mate!

As for the question, I think 2 x 6 pin to single 8 pin adapter is a little bit waste. Since in order to feed the power requirements for one 2080 TI, it has to occupied quadruple 6 pin on my PSU, and it only has 6 in total.

You are right about my "how many yellow rail " stuff. That's totally my fault, cause theoretically it could support double 12v rail and attached a triple yellow rail connector.

So, I guess the outcome will be 2 variable. One is how many 12v does this 850w PSU supported on 6 PIN, second is the 'Power ratings specifications', and I've found this on Alienware-aurora-r5-desktop_setup-guide_en-us.pdf under specification section.

InkedAnnotation 2020-03-28 194020_LI.jpg

Although I don't fully understand the 12VA\12VB\12VD. I still can discover all of them are above 12.5A which is the standard ampere that 8 PIN connector required. 

(12.5A comes from I = P / U = 150W / 12V = 12.5A)

And since the output current matches the 8 PIN, I think there are only 2*12v yellow rail on the PSU is not a logical outcome. Cause if they do, then it means it doesn't support 8 pin anyway, why do they have that much output current that could be able to support 8 pin.

Do you think so ? 

Thanks again for your patient.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 28th, 2020 08:00

In the photo you posted of your PSU, the red arrow is pointing at two 8 PIN pcie cables.  So you are all set. 

First, you press the 6 pin piece + the 2 pin piece together to make 8 pins and plug that into the first 8 pin slot in the GPU. 

Second, you do the same for the second cable and you're all set.  No special connections or adapters are needed.  The 8 pin (6+2 breakaway) cable is designed like this to work with both 8 pin and 6 pin gpus.  

2.5K Posts

March 28th, 2020 08:00

yes (I make my own so answers are longer with that ) I delete my full answer, and all issues related.

first off no idea at all your PSU, dell p;/n not stated. by you. (sorry not just one exists)

WC1T4?  as we all know dell has this sick penchant for FEAR of extra power cables seen on REAL ATX PSU,  (they save a buck on wire, and we lose)

the Wc1T4 looks real bad, in photos I see.\

or the AC460AM-01, PSU?:???

RTX 2080 Ti  215watt card, so the yellow wires only need 12 amps total, on all yellow connected wires.

say 4amps per yellow wire (3x4=12) a cake walk that.

your PC lacking 8pin PCI-e GPU power cables, you must use the 6pin marked the same.GPU.

all 2 x3 =6 yellow wire, colored wrong on the below PSU must land on the 6 12vdc pins of GPU.

and the other pins ground wires all populated at GPU.  or the GPU will not work.

is this YOUR PSU,

AC460AM-01  see this 6 pin plug is that ALL YOU HAVE from PSU, if wired all 6 pins it will work

with the adapters I posted. 4pin is CPU and huge are mobo all. 24pins. 15pins is SATA HDD.

yes, the you need the 6 to 8 pair Y splitter that does  3 12vdc lines and run 6 12vdc lines to GPU.

r5.JPG

7 Technologist

• 

10.9K Posts

March 28th, 2020 09:00

I suggest not to ponder too much on how many 12V rails the stock psu has.  The Dell psu label can be quite misleading and it would waste your time trying to understand or do math calculation.

March 28th, 2020 22:00

Thank you so much for your detailed answer, but I’m truly sorry that sounds like it’s too complicated to understand for me. And I’ve been totally lost since your ‘Rule 2’.

I just wanted to make sure absolutely no mistake and finds out does 2080Ti fits Alienware Aurora R5 with 850W?

Sorry again.

2.5K Posts

March 29th, 2020 05:00

more simple < buyers list simple ( if not sold at bestbuy over the counter, how would you KNOW?)

1: if you buy the right adapter it works.

2: IF You buy one with wired pins missing or wired wrong it will fail. (some do)

the trouble (not making your own like me) is buying off stores the  photo man is DAFT,  shows wrong side of connector not the wired side SO a wise buyer can not see what is there. at all,

here is one example that is  better (photos) almost.

amazon1

amazon2,  the  guy is rare here,  actual useful photos, amazingly .

not sure me  , not in my hands, and eyes,

see this cable set. here. 6 to 8 pairs

looked at 100s of this listed from you and most are bad photos, no rear shots.  see what I MEAN?

March 29th, 2020 10:00

Thanks again for your reply.

For the model no., since in aurora r5 the PSU is installed into a rotatable chassis, in order to check model no. for this I probably have to de-attach all the cables and remove it from the chassis which is too much for now. But I've Google this and got the model number for Aurora R5, I think it is my model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Alienware-Aurora-R5-850-Watt-Power-Supply-HU850EF-00-J2GNJ-/264487471926

It's perfectly match the Output current specs that I've found from the pdf file above.

Oh, pictures are unable to load again .... btw

No Events found!