Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

10 Posts

February 5th, 2023 08:00

Aurora R15, vibration sound

Hello there,

I have a brand new Alienware Aurora R15 desktop with a RTX 4090. It has recently started having this vibration sound that I cant seem to find and diagnose myself. I have checked all the fans (nothing is touching). Also unplugged each one to see if it went away. I have checked the GPU and also unplugged to see if it was that. I have checked all cable connections, cables themselves, plastic clips, opened both side panels to take a look, checked all the screws I could find and tighten them down. I have looked under the top cover, checked power supply. I am just completely stumped. I'm about to open up a support ticket. The sound is quite loud and annoying. Only thing I can think of is something is causing a vibration when the machine is on and its behind areas I don't feel comfortable exploring. Here's a video from a link with the sound. I posted in Reddit and another owner has recently noticed the same issue. If any suggestions come about, please let me know. For this expensive machine it shouldn't sound like its going to fall apart. Thanks 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 5th, 2023 09:00

I had a chance to listen to video.

I can't tell if it's a part vibrating or a fan (either rubbing on something, out-of-balance, or bad bearings). There are various fans and usually one inside the power-supply itself.

10 Posts

February 13th, 2023 18:00

Update***
come to find out, it was the PSU the whole time. I contacted dell and they sent me a replacement PSU via fedex and i installed myself. The vibration and sound went away. I think it was a faulty Fan inside the PSU. 

6 Professor

• 

6.2K Posts

February 5th, 2023 08:00

You should open up a ticket since this is a brand new machine. If you click on the get help now button on the lower right corner of the screen they can help you further.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Tends to happen on tool-less cases (that is why screwed-down parts are better).

It's usually better to find culprit and correct. I have had to wedge a piece of rubber or kitchen-cabinet bumper into spots before. Fans out of balance and spinning-platter HDD (sometimes on removable trays) are often cause. Sometime gourmets or a few layers of black electric tape.

6 Professor

• 

6.2K Posts

Could be the AIO pump. Hard to say without seeing the system in person. You can try moving the system up and down while it's on, to see if that makes a difference. Could be air bubbles in the AIO.

10 Posts

i have unplugged each fan and turned the system on to run and the sound still happens 

4 Posts

April 11th, 2023 12:00

I'm on my second R15. The first one went back due to the power supply sounding like a farm tractor. The second one was quiet for a month and is now making the same noises as the first (and same as in your video). Too much work to get another replacement. 

How hard was it to exchange the power supply yourself? 

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 12th, 2023 09:00

Not to worry! I had exactly the same problem as you. The first time, I watched the noise go from quiet-loud-quiet-gone for about 2 weeks. But I still asked for a replacement, thinking it was a faulty P.S.U. With the second one, the problem re-emerged. I left it as it was. And so the noise went from quiet-loud-quiet-gone, again! I see this as a break-in period for Dell PSU lol!

2 Posts

April 13th, 2023 15:00

I have had the exact same issue. For 2 weeks they denied there was an issue and then said that it is due to the PSU and the relay switching on/off. They pointlessly replaced the heat sink and have now said i can either have a replacement system or a refund. They said 'they have engineers working on a bios fix' but i think this is just rubbish. 

4 Posts

April 15th, 2023 06:00

It sounds like I should not replace the PSU because with the replacement it may just come back. I don't really want to return the entire unit (again). I wish they would just acknowledge the issue and stand behind the R15 with a promise to replace the PSU when they fix the underlying issue. The "all fans" error is another fundamental issue that needs to be addressed. I have experienced that as well when I set the hibernation times too short. At 2 hours I don't get the fan errors anymore. But the noise is incessant.

Was it difficult to replace the PSU? Looks like you need to take off the R, L and top panels and then make about 5 connections.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 15th, 2023 08:00

I wouldn't recommend that you replace anything just yet. Just do nothing but watch. See if the noise goes away on its own. It could take a week or two. That's how long it took for mine to go quiet. It's been weeks now, the machine has been as quiet as a baby. Make sure you have the most recent BIOS update though, that should also fix your waking up fan error. For the noise in the PSU, pretty sure it didn't come from fans, probably just some current passing through the components. 

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

April 18th, 2023 12:00

Mine is now making this exact same sound.  But the funny thing is it didn't start until about two weeks after I got it (I've had it for about a month now).  I've got a ticket open on it, but should I just wait and see if it gets better?

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

April 21st, 2023 12:00

It's getting more frequent on mine, so it's not getting any better. I'm still trying to convince Dell to come out and replace the PSU as it's obvious where the sound is coming from now.  Hopefully they get this taken care of soon as it's driving me bonkers. 

6 Professor

• 

6.2K Posts

April 21st, 2023 14:00

It's likely coil whine from the PSU due to the load on it.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

April 25th, 2023 05:00

I don't think it's coil whine.  It sounds more like a PSU fan issue.  Dell support is still telling me "give us 1 to 2 business days to work with our elevated support team" after almost a week and a half.  I'm guessing that this happens quite a bit and they're hoping it goes away. 

No Events found!