Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

21 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 17:00

Aurora R13, Intel Alderlake, AVX-512 support

Hi there,

I've been trying to figure out how to enable AVX-512 support in the system BIOS for my i9-12900KF system.

Other motherboard manufacturers have added the option of enabling AVX-512 support where one has to disable all ATOM cores (Intel Alderlake CPUs) and manually check the option for AVX-512 support in BIOS.

With the Aurora R13, you have the option of disabling the ATOM cores, but there is no option to enable the AVX-512 instruction set.

I need AVX-512 support enabled to speed up calculations in MatLab.

I'd appreciate it if someone can assist me with this.

Thanks.

509 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 23:00

I'm sorry to tell you but Intel removed AVX 512 with a microcode update about a month ago from all Alder Lake CPUs, everything you've seen previously with board makers having the AVX512 option is going away as Intel is requiring the update

21 Posts

February 3rd, 2022 20:00

While this is true, Intel has left it up to motherboard manufacturers to enable or disable that feature for their customers. Motherboard manufacturers have all embedded a switch in the BIOS that disables the ATOM cores and enables AVX-512 support. The latest MB manufacturer, MSI, just recently added the feature to their z690 motherboards:

MSI Re-Enables AVX-512 Support on Alder Lake CPUs

MSI MEG Z690 Unify-X Motherboard Can Let You Enable AVX 512 

Since Alienware is Dell's gaming flagship pc which they market as a powerhouse, one would think they would enable that feature for their customers. I paid a premium for my Alienware thinking I would be getting a fully loaded top-of-line system only to find out that numerous features are either disabled or riddled with bugs.

I have no issues with bugs, they ultimately get fixed. But to see other MB manufacturers give more options and power to their customers, that's where I don't feel the love from Alienware.

37 Posts

February 10th, 2022 21:00

Dell follows intel specs by the book... they are running the 4800 ddr5 kit that comes with the r13 at 4400 just cause ... "Intel specs"... they dont treat it as a flagship with the best features, just an a very expensive game pc with very limited upgradability. 

No Events found!