Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2021 14:00

Alienware Firmware update via Windows update

Greetings

Got a notice that  says "Alienware. - Firmware - 0.2.1.2" is available within Windows update however Alienware Update (standalone and separate app) didn't suggest nor mention this. Any insight why Microsoft is recommending this or any insight as to what this update entails?

6 Professor

• 

6.5K Posts

April 9th, 2021 15:00

Pleas see post: https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R10-Bios-version-2-1-2/td-p/7840585

You will not see this with the Alienware updater if you are already on bios 2.1.2.

Al the latest drivers are always located at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-au?app=drivers

It should grab your service tag and show you all the updates available to your specific system.

Please keep in mind there are 2 different configurations of the R10 currently in circulation: The Ryzen 3000 and the Ryzen 5000 versions. They use different motherboards, and not all updates will apply to both.

Therefore always ensure to use your service tag when getting updates directly from Dell, to ensure it's for your R10 and not the "other R10".

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 9th, 2021 14:00

Better to check with Dell Downloads. Firmware updates are usually bios updates. You know that it's risky to get those anywhere else but Dell. You can turn off those suggestions at Windows Update in Advanced Options.

189 Posts

April 11th, 2021 17:00

Never flash any bios from Microsoft - Period

4 Posts

August 5th, 2021 23:00

You cannot turn off any type of suggestion, let alone the BIOS Updates in Windows (disguised as Dell Firmware) in Windows Update.

6 Posts

October 9th, 2021 02:00

DO NOT GO NEAR THIS

It.s a BIOS update and will brick you Alienware like it did mine.

WHY is a borked BIOS update being released through windows update Dell?!?

I've had my Aurora for all of two months and the user experience has been abysmal.

First month - Used Alienware Command center and took all updates available, included an 'critical' security update (it was this wretched BIOS update).

Mobo soft bricked. Had to be replaced.

Been fine for all of 3 weeks and now they've released THE SAME update to M$ Windows update and I've been bricked again.
I didn't even realise until I rebooted my machine and it didn't get past the windows loading screen. After trying several things the symptoms were all too familiar. Loaded into BIOS page and sure enough - BIOS now reads as 2.2.1. FFS...

October 11th, 2021 03:00

Appears to me that there's a more widespread issue with 2.2.1. I updated via Dell Support Assistant, mine isn't completely bricked but it's pretty much unusable as the display doesn't turn on after a warm reboot and sometimes I have to switch it off and remove the power cord a few times before it starts working.

Does anyone know the best way to block future firmware updates from Dell or MS? I have a call open with Dell and they are going to replace my motherboard. Once fixed I don't want to apply any future firmware updates.

1 Message

October 14th, 2021 16:00

Yesterday I found Win10 updater automatic download and install this "Firmware - 0.2.1.2" without any notice. After that, my machine frequently blue screen and reboot. It works well after I download 2.2.2 firmware from Dell and reinstallit.

Beware of this "Firmware - 0.2.1.2".

1 Rookie

• 

132 Posts

October 15th, 2021 02:00

Right. My machine did an update about a month ago and then wouldn't boot from disk or USB. Dell were really helpful and eventually (after my holiday absence) an engineer came, replaced the mobo and my R10 5900 3080 was as good as new. Last Monday.
Until yesterday, when there were a couple of noticications for updates and the .NET update, restart required and the latest W10 update which was waiting to be installed.
So it restarted and lo and behold. The Alienware logo and the Windows spinning dots. Like last time.

Don't tell me it's a boot drive thing, because last time round it failed to boot from a Zorin Linux USB, and Dell Windows10 install USB as well.
The engineer was great. It had him flummoxed too, but he had a mobo with him and did the swap.

SupportAssist found no errors last time round. I doubt it will now, but I have the machine on my desk showing Preparing Automatic Repair, with dots. It's been trying for an hour. Last time it failed even when left overnight.
I'll try the Zorin USB next. Not very hopeful.

I'm close to giving up on the whole deal and ordering a new case and X570 etc. to do a transplant. Might sell off the AIO and VRM heatsinks on ebay.

Hand on heart, I can't recommend this system. I've been buying Dells for decades, but they're just not consumer focused enough anymore when it comes to desktops.

No Events found!